2000 Elantra gas tank won't fill - Which part to replace

Like a lot of others, my 2000 Elantra will just barely take gas at the pump. So I’ve done the research, I think I understand the problem, but when I tried to find the replacement filter, there seem to be 4 different parts ranging from $8 to $180. Which part should I order and order first, or should I just replace them all?

Before you start replacing parts you don’t understand the function or location of, you should determine what the problem really is…Think “anti-spill check valve” and ORVR system, On-board Refueling Vapor Recovery…Here is where your problem lies…

This may sound odd this is something to think about.
Has your local station changed handles on the pumps? My local staion changed handles and the car would not take gas. This is an area with the convoluted rubber seals to recover vapors. The station across the street has not changed and filling is no problem.

If they have try a different station.

Sounds like you may have a problem with the evaporative emissions system.

My guess would be the vent valve or the filler neck.

In my opinion, if the filling station isn’t the problem, pay a shop to diagnose it.
Make sure the shop does a lot of diagnostic work, as evap problems require real skill, experience, equipment, patience, and often access to technical service bulletins, the web, online service manuals, etc.

I’d hate to see you throw the wrong parts at it.

I don’t have access to your specific EVAP system, so I’ve linked you to a sketch of a typical one.
As you pump gas in, the fumes in the tank pass through the diaphragmatic refueling valve, into the charcoal filter, through the canister vent valve, and on up to a vent hole around the fiull pipe. It gets drawn in with the gas to the tank. If one of these valves is stuck, a line is kinked, or the charcoal bed is saturated, the tank cannot breath the fumes out. The pump handle will sense this as a full tank (chich would normally block the tank float-operated valve) and shut the pump down.

Exactly what’s malfunctioning will need a shop to diagnose.

http://tijil.org/Scion_Docs/Scion_06_misc_docs/2007sciontc_ncf%20Folder/2azfeemi.pdf