2000 Dodge Neon bad vibration

I have a 2000 Dodge Neon with 135,000 miles. The car has a bad vibration when driving. It seems to do it a lot worse when I take my foot off of the gas and not as much when I hit the gas. It also does it more when I turn the steering wheel slightly to the left.

There are a lot of things this could be, but if it was me I would take it to a front end shop and have it looked at by a pro who knows what he is doing. And not a national chain store either.

Three general areas to look at:

1. Are all four cylinders firing? Many cars will run pretty well on three cylinders, but two is going to be very rough on any car – if it runs at all.

2. Motor mounts – These are slightly flexible mounts that hold the engine and allow the engine to move around a bit. They can get tired and break eventually in which case the engine will more faster and further.

3. The front suspension. If this is the problem, you need to get it looked at. Depending on which component has failed or is failing, this can kill you or someone else if it comes apart while driving at any significant speed.

I’m With VTC2. We Had Another Recent Neon Vibration Question.

Regarding #2. Motor mounts -

I don’t know if this is an automatic or a manual transmission Neon, but I’m finding out that mounts usually are only good for just about 100,000 miles in these Neons, particularly in cars having manual transmissions.

That should be fairly easy for a mechanic to check.

CSA