1999 Ford Explorer Lock Issue

So, when I use the keyless entry (both the keychain and the door panel numbers) the lock only goes up about half way. If I push the door handle in all the way, and press the button a few times it works.

However, if I use the panel on the inside of the door (the place with window control, lock control, etc.) it works perfectly every time…

What is going on here?

I WOULD SUSPECT THAT YOU HAVE A BAD CONNECTION GOING TO THE KEY PAD CONTROL TO THE LOCK/UNLOCK RELAY. FORD HAS PROBLEMS WITH THE WIRES BEING CHANNELED FROM THE INSIDE TO THE DOOR. FOR SOME STRANGE REASON THEY THINK IT IS BETTER TO RUN INDIVIDUAL WIRES THROUGH THIS AREA RATHER THAN TAPING THEM AS A GROUP AND RUNNING THEM THROUGH. MY GUESS IS THAT IF YOU PULL THAT FLEXIBLE RUBBER WIRE WAY BACK BETWEEN THE DOOR AND THE INSIDE OF THE VEHICLE YOU’LL FIND YOUR PROBLEM.

ME DADDY

I suggest you check the switch connection to the keyless entry module. It sounds like there is a dirty switch connection which is causing a slight voltage drop in the power to the lock solenoid. Cleaning the contacts should fix the trouble if that is the case.

The switch on the inside of the door triggers all locks to unlock at the same time. To do this it activates two relays (out of three). Entering the code on the outside keypad only unlocks the driver’s door - this only triggers one of the three relays.
Do this as a test. Enter your code, then press the “3/4” button. This will trigger the remaining locks to unlock. Does this also make the driver’s door lock pop up all the way?

(If when you enter your code, all locks try to come up (before you press “3/4”), then you have a short between the driver’s lock circuit and the passenger lock circuits and this would explain your problem.)