1996 Taurus Tranny problem?

Hi all:

I have a 1996 Taurus with a 3.0 liter V6, automatic transmission. This past weekend while driving 55 it felt like I had shifted into neutral and the RPMs went from 3K to over 4K. I pulled off the highway, came to a full stop. After a moment I tried to go again but the car stayed in 1st gear.

I shut the car off, waited 15 minutes, started the car and drove away as if nothing happened.

This morning the exact thing happened again. Car drove fine, shifting like a new car. Later, stopped to do an errand in town, came out, started car and it idled 10 minutes while I chatted with a friend. When I put the car in gear, again all I had was first gear.

After the first episode I had a mechanic check for codes. The only code he found was an O2 sensor that he said seemed to be working well now. No other codes. I have had the check engine light come on once in a while, but goes away after 24 to 48 hours.

Any ideas?

Your problem may be due to a cracked front clutch piston …
a major (and common) Ford transmission problem.

You’ve got a pressure issue somewhere. It would be nice to know whether the computer is commanding a second gear shift when you say its stuck in first. Sorry, but it sounds like you might have to let a trans shop look at it. Taurus transmissions, like yours are prone to problems. Dont be surprised if overhaul is recommended. 13 years is pretty good for a Taurus trans.

transman

I think you are probably right. I did a filter change tonight, no change, still won’t shift out of first gear. Was hoping for a clogged filter. Actually everything looked very good. Only minor shavings. Read somewhere about the possibility of it being the vss. Might give that a try before heading to the tranny shop.

Changed out the vss tonight, easier then I thought it would be (30 minutes). Happy to report she is shifting like a brand new car again!. Took it for a 40 mile drive with no problems. Keeping my fingers crossed for now because it has fooled me before.

Thanks for the responses.