1997 Ford Taurus GL 3.0 OHV

I have a 1997 Ford Taurus GL with a 3.0 OHV engine. I have a problem with my Transmission changing into third (3rd) gear and then Overdrive. In the morning when the car is cold and I am driving it for the first time, it drives without a problem. The Transmission will shift into ALL gears (1st, 2nd, 3rd, & Overdrive). But, after the car warms up (about 15 ? 20 mins), that?s when it stops shifting into (3rd) gear.

There was a time when I could turn the car off, wait a minute or two and re-start it, then it would start shifting into all gears again, but that stopped after awhile. Now, when I drive the car and it warms up, once it shifts into 2nd gear, my RPM gauge climbs to 3000, when I?m driving 60 miles per hour. Now, there is nothing that I can do to make it start to shift again, but turn the car off and allow it to cool off or go cold again.

HELP, this is driving me nuts!!! All of my fluids are fine and as I stated, it shifts into ALL gears when it cold/cool. What is wrong with my transmission? What do I need to do to FIX IT? I am using up a lot of GAS ? OOCH!

Thank you very much for your help,

James

My first suggestion would be to have the trans module scanned for error codes. If there are any codes present post them back here for diagnosis. Hopefully transman, OK4450, or one of the other posters will chime in on this issue.
~Michael

I would agree, although I’'m not a transmission expert, that whatever controls the shifts is acting up.

More than likely, you will have the transmission rebuilt.

Gentlemen,

Thank you one and all for this feedback.  I am sorry for my delay on reading this valueable information, but things have been a little crazy in life lately.  I will explore having my Transmission codes read and report back to you all.

Thanks again,

James