1995 honda rotors

I was wondering if there was a trick to changing the rotors on a 1995 honda accord. I am considering popping the wheel lug off and pushing the drive axle in for clearance on the four bolts holding the rotor on, on the rear side of the rotor, but I am not sure. If there is anyone who has any knowledge on this subject and can help me, I would really appreciate it! The rotors on the car now are warped, and need to be changed badly.

What you need is a service manual, such as Haynes. It would tell you EXACTLY what steps are necessary in order to remove the rotor. For $25 or so you can save yourself a lot of aggravation.

I believe this year of accord still has rotors that are difficult to remove. You do have to push the drive axle in. But you also have to undo the upper part of the knuckle to remove the hub. The hub bolts in to the back of the knuckle. I don’t think you can actually get to the bolts for the hub with the axle in place, even pushed in. Though you could try. I second the manual.

Yeah, I have the Haynes manual for the car, I was just wondering if anyone had any tips, suggestions, or tricks, because the job seems pretty labor intensive.

If you are willing to work that hard, go ahead. If you have the money to pay a shop to do it; there’s nothing wrong with that either. Even if it’s easy, you may need somebody to step on the brakes while you loosen the bolts.

I have that Haynes manual too. The procedure, though a lot of work, is very straight forward. It may seem overly complicated if you have never replaced an axle before. I realize you aren’t actually removing the axle from the transmission but you almost are.

You have to remove the steering knuckle. The small Pitman Arm puller at AZ and other autoparts stores is the perfect tool for separating the ball joints and tie rod ends. You also have to remove the axle nut. Once the knuckle is out, then you remove the four bolts holding the wheel bearing and hub assembly. Then press the hub and wheel bearing out of the knuckle.

There are two options if you haven’t started yet. Try a couple of hard stops, just short of lockup from about 60 mph. Works for me most of time.

If the rotors aren’t too thin, and Hondas have good beefy rotors with plenty of wear allowance, you can get them resurfaced in place on the car. I think most dealers can do this.