1989 Honda Civic

I need help in figuring out why the car does not get gas properly. Tried several things; mechanic put computer on it - said it needed throttle position sensor; however, that acually made it worse. Also replaced air control valve. I have to pump the gas pedal for it to get enough gas; usually cuts off several times until eventually when it gets enough & the engine light comes on, it works okay. Only when the engine light comes on (& stays on), does it idle correctly. Can someone help me please?

You need to get your CEL codes pulled to see what is causing your problem. When you know the codes post them and someone should be able to help you.

When the light comes on it is putting your engine in what I call “limp home mode”. Instead of using the info being sent by your engine sensors it is using preset parimeters in your ECM. That is why your engine seems to run better.

That CEL (check engine light) is just a kid in class waving her hand trying to get you attention because she has the answer. You need to have the codes read. Some places will read them for FREE. Try Autozone or Advanced Auto Parts. Get the exact code not just their translation into English and post it back here.