Gas pedal/engine light on - '89 Civic

Need help in figuring out why car does not get gas properly. Tried several things; mechanic put computer on it - said it needed throttle position sensor; however, that acually made it worse. Also replaced air control valve. I have to pump the gas pedal for it to get enough gas; usually cuts off several times until eventually the engine light comes on & it works okay. Only when the engine light comes on (& stays on), does it idle correctly. Can someone help me please?

That CEL (check engine light) is just a kid in class waving her hand trying to get you attention because she has the answer. You need to have the codes read. Some places will read them for FREE. Try Autozone or Advanced Auto Parts. Get the exact code not just their translation into English and post it back here.

Thanks so much for your response. Do you mean the computer code? If so, AutoZone sent me to a local mechanic; computer said it needed the throttle position sensor or idler air control valve. He tried both to no avail. I will try Advance or maybe another AutoZone to see if they can give me a code, hopefully tomorrow. If so, I’ll post it. Thankfully, I have another car I’m using; do not want to give up as I was getting such good mpg (sometimes close to 40). I could never sell it for what I have in it. Paid $800 for it in March '05, have put $1670 into it since then, including new muffler, axles, throttle body, radiator, brake master cyclinder, etc. 169,800 mileage now. Thanks again!