1983 GMC 3500 rear axle walked out of housing

You can’t just put a dually rear end on this single-rear wheel step van

it’ll be hard and/or impossible to properly mount tires and rims on the rear . . not without some changes

srw and drw rear ends have completely different brake setups, to name just one difference

And we have lots of 3500 srw . . . single rear wheel . . . vehicles in our fleet with a full floater rear end

I thought the vehicle subject was a 3500 pickup . I also thought the shop that wanted to put a dual set on knew what they were doing. I guess not .

Now maybe the OP will just find a shop to do a proper repair and not mess with friends and trade items.

Yes that seems like a good idea. Thanks for everyones help.
I am learning more everyday.

Would you still be willing to post a picture? The suspense is killing me (well…maybe not really, but my curiosity is certainly piqued) as to what exactly happened to this axle/hub.

@DavidAllen47:
I’m not sure many here can vouch for the value of your Sinclair pump, or if it is a fair trade for the work you want done. If you and your friend agree that the trade is fair, then have at it. If not- then that is for you and your friend to figure out before the job is started. Your replies in here make it seem like you seem to think your friend isn’t thinking the trade is fair. Is it worth your friendship to push this trade to continue? That’s for you to answer.

perhaps get an estimate on the repairs and get your pump appraised by a collector? then you all can determine if it is a fair trade.

I look at what pumps are selling for.$2500 is a good figure for this unrestored.
I think 1500 would be a bargain for the buyer because half the value is in the original globe.
So I will split the difference and accept $2000 cash .
Located near Tampa Florida.
I will post pictures soon of pump and rear axle problem.
Also Have an old oil rack from an old service station will sell too 500 or 250 if you buy the pump too.
Will post pictures soon.

If the pump was not part of my family history maybe I would care less.
But this is like letting a part of me go.

David , I don’t think selling items are allowed here . You might want to check with @cdaquila our esteemed Moderator.

Thank you for your response.

I will quit mentioning prices.

I did not know.

No harm ment.

Nobody wants this old stuff anyway

Just looked up the globe aloneOMG it went for crazy price in Scottsdale AZ Barrett Jackson $1725 just the globe

That’s not quite true

There’s definitely a small market of hard-core guys that are into this stuff

Looks C clip to me
Capture

Richmond shows that axle pictured above listed for the GM 10.5" 14-bolt axle (see here), which is what the P3500 should have (as far as I can find). However, the 10.5" 14-bolt is a full-floating axle. The 9.5" 14-bolt is semi-floating. I think Richmond’s catalog is incorrect.

The OP already implied that this is a full-floating axle (axle shaft bolted to hub w/ 8 bolts). A picture would clarify.

If the axle walked out of the rear end and the wheel/tire remained under the fender it seems kinda certain that it’s a full floating rear end.

1 Like

I saw that on Rockauto. Yes it is a C-clip. I saw it alongside full-floater axles for the same vehicle. The listing may be wrong or there may have been 3500’s built each way depending on how they were ordered.

You guys are so good to me.
Thank you for all of your input.
It is pouring rain today but I will take pictures soon.

It is so weird the way it walked out

Just leaving work and it seemed like i was in neutral.

Looked in mirror and said wtf

Axle wheel and tire out 2 feet.

Heard whirring noise a few days thought it was alternator

Please keep helping me.
Thank you everyone