1983 GMC 3500 rear axle walked out of housing

Ok then… THAT is either a C clip or semi floater axle description not a full floater!

When it quits raining i must pull the axle out as the 8 bolts are out.
What should i look for

David , all of your replies are seen by everyone so you don’t need to make individual replies . Also if you log on the site you can read all of the posts easier than using email .

The lock nut for the wheel bearing came loose. You need to examine the end of the axle housing for damage, it may be possible to install new wheel bearings and reassemble.

That Richmond axle pictured above and to which I linked on Richmond’s site is their part # 92-25188. This is sold through Motive Gear (and maybe others). It is described as a right rear axle shaft for the GM 10.5" 14-bolt axle, and that it replaces GM part # 3977384. The description is correct for the full-floating axle, however the picture from Richmond, which seems to be the same picture used by all of the retailers selling the Richmond/Motive brand (including Rockauto), is incorrect, showing a semi-floating shaft. GM # 3977384 is definitely a full-floating axle shaft.

This shows that Richmond’s picture is wrong, but still doesn’t prove which axle the OP has.

The OP mentioned that the axle “walked out of the housing” with the wheel attached so it is apparent that he didn’t have a full floating rear end.

If the nut/ lock ring that holds the bearing in came off, the whole assembly would walk out.

That’s what I was figuring, as I mentioned way up in post # 8.

Also, the OP has mentioned twice now that he has removed the 8 bolts that attach the axle shaft to the hub, but hasn’t pulled the shaft.

1 Like

Well yes. I guess it would. But that just seems like such an unexpected situation @It_s_Me. In such a failure the wheel and axle wouldn’t suddenly slip out, there would be a significantly troubling wobble for quite a while before losing power I imagine.

There was no wobble on the way to work that morning.But leaving work (garag

Gated community 15 mile an hour speed limit she felt like she slightly went into neutral.No noise or vibration. Rain is over will take images today