Honda Odyssey motor mount problem

I have the exact situation except my odyssey is a 2006 and all the motor mounts are shot. Estimated repair cost $1600. I dont understand how all of them have gone bad at once.

I have a 2004 Honda Odyssey Van and I too have been told that I have 4 cracked engine mounts. My van has less than 62,000 miles. Perhaps with all the national attention on the recalls with Toyota vehicles, now is the time to contact your state attorney’s office to report this issue with Honda motor mounts and I bet that will draw Honda’s attention.

After reading the discussion here I was motivated to try to figure out my 2000 Honda Odyssey suspected engine mount problem. Just happened to be dumping some used oil at the back of the auto parts store and thought I’d ask if they had any engine mounts available for me. Imagine that, they had a replacement part for one of the three mounts. It was the simple one to reach and see at the right side of the engine near the top. Got it home and then tested to see if that was the one broken using the tests described here. It was completely shot. My son and I had it replaced in an hour or two. Took a little finegling but really not to challenging. $50 and our clunk is gone. Next the CV joints which I’m told are probably shot from the engine mount being broke for so long. Wonder how long that mount was broke. I’ve got 185k miles on the van now.

I just went to my local Merchant’s Tire store to have my tires rotated and wheels aligned on my '03 Odyssey. After they finished the work, I was told that the front and passenger’s side motor mounts needed replacing. Since I replaced a motor mount on my now “deceased” (was totalled last Aug.) '91 accord, I feel I’m up for the task. The passenger side mount looks easy enough. But, I’m not as sure about the front mount. My Haynes manual implies that it’s a simple process: 1)Remove the Upper Stud Nut; 2) Remove the 4 mount-to-chassis bolts; 3) Disconnect the vacuum hose from the bottom of the mount; 4) Raise the engine enough for the stud to clear the upper bracket and remove the bracket. Voila! Despite the apparent ease of this process I have some questions:
1): From what location (under the car, front of the car, etc.) do you approach the front mount from? Looking down from the top, it’s clear it can’t do the work from that angle without removing some things.
2): From whatever location you attack the problem, does anything need to be removed to gain access to the front mount?
3): Other than removing the vacuum hose and re-attaching it to the new unit, does anything else need to be done during this step?
4): My understanding when working with engine mounts is that you should only replace one mount at a time. Assuming that is a true statement, Is it possible to raise the engine enough for the stud to clear the upper bracket (as noted in step 4 above)?
5): This probably should have been my first question. The Haynes book recommends supporting the engine with a floor jack (with a block of wood) at the engine oil pan. Has anyone done anything differently to disperse the weight?
6): I checked out prices locally and on-line. Interestingly enough, my on-line Honda parts dealer has prices that are just about the same for the mounts as the after-market quotes I’ve been receiving. Any reason I shouldn’t go with the Honda parts…other than the fact that I’m scratching my head over why these went only after 85K miles!
7) Lastly, if you have other advice to give on this job, feel free to offer it up.
Thanks in advance for your answers.
Rob

Ditto all of these comments. I’m sitting at my dealer as I write this with my 2005 Honda Odyssey with 55K miles. The motor mount next to the firewall is bad. $836 buck and 4 hours of my time. Gotta believe this is a problem with the design. If it wasn’t, it would surely drive up Honda’s “annual cost” calculations that they are so proud of.

opppsss…just got a phone call from the dealer, wehre my 2004 Odiseey is in for its 60,000 miles check.
front engine mount is gone and side is cracked. i was quoted 437 for the fron and 174 for the side…
i told them to wait…i want to make sure i cannot do this cheaply form a regular shop…has anybody had any experience about it??
how about some fare pricing estimates?
i always thought Honda was famous for its reliability…

Just learned that my '06 Odyssey with just about 70k miles on it has a bad rear motor mount. My local dealer wants to charge over $800 to replace just that one motor mount. Reporting from Tampa, FL.

Odyssey’s are reliable if you overlook a high rate of transmission failures and motor mounts that need replacing.

just got a call from my honda dealership.
we have always taken the car to the dealership for all service and on time for any maint.

he said there is a broken motor mount, this van only has 53k on it, it is a 2001.
we have always baby this van… only 2 drivers, mostly the wife till about 6 months ago and then I started driving to save a little money on gas.

has anyone had any luck with their dealership helping with getting these mounts replaced thru honda at a discount?
thanks
dick

Our 2005 Odyssey has similar problem as described from other posts - making noise and vibrate when engine in low speed (starting acceleration).
Our local dealer told us it is caused by ruptured rear engine mount. They have quoted around $700 to fix it. What an expensive repair!

Three of my mounts broke at about 100k. I’ve got over 200k miles on another vehicle and have never had this problem. I think it’s a defect with the break-away connection being too sensitive.

I bought a 2003 Odyssey in 2004 with 15,000 miles and babied the vehicle. At about 18,000 miles I began to get an oscillation in the front, primarily when I hit a slight up hill grade. It feels as if one of the front strut was out of control. To stop this quickly, I have to ease off the gas pedal; this occurs rarely and intermittently. It got progressively worst as the vehicle got older. I decide to investigate and found that the right engine mount is cracked and I can rock the engine from that location without much effort. There is definitely a engine mount problem with odysseys.

Yes, my 2002 Honda Odyssey also have several engine mounts (sides and rear) replaced several times already, normally at the time when performed the major service in the dealer (I did all the recommended service at the honda dealers so far).

I believe this is a defect with Odyssey’s design, and taht’s not even in any routine service list per Odyssey owner manual. I doubted if I had the maintenance service done by non-dealer shop, will they find that out? And how long will a cracked engine mount keep working for safety? (I mean, if I did not do the major service in dealer, then the problem won’t even be found, because those minor or intermediate service in dealer won’t even check that).

I am feeling been ripped by Honda…I hope there would be some class-lawsuit on this soon.

I just found out that the front, side and rear mount needs to be replaced and will cost me $1,941.03. I can understand if I was careless with my vehicle, but I am a loyal customer to the Honda dealership and had all of the scheduled maintenance done to my vehicle in the last five years. I was shock to hear that mounts needed replacement due to supposedly normal wear and tear from exposure of high and low temperatures. I was so angry, that I had to walk out. I believe they have lost honda customer. Does anyone make reliable vehicles anymore. The cost of a car keeps increasing and yet their quality declines. This is unexceptable!

I just learned that our 2005 Honda Odyssey with ~75K miles has a broken rear motor mount. Interestingly, on the touring model, this mount has a hydraulic damping bladder built into it; the damping changes (according to our local dealer) depending on the state of the engine mode (economy or regular). In any case, the dealer service manager explained that this unit is tucked up right near the exhaust manifold, and so is subject to lots of heat. (Brilliant…putting rubber next to a heat source…) This motor mount is the most expensive one; ~$600. $400 in labor, for a total of $1K. Frankly, a motor mount should not let go after 5 years, that seems unacceptably low to me. I called American Honda Corporate Customer Service, they could not help with the situation. But I agree, that perhaps there should be a class recall action on this, if the problem is widespread. I will post a photo of the old part (which I have asked for) if there is something of interest to see.

So, we had the motor mount replaced. I have attached photos; the pencil and pliers point to where the leak is; its just a pinhole. You can see that the rubber has cracked badly on one side of the mount; yet just inches away the rubber is in pretty good condition. I think its likely that the service advisor was correct, that one part of this mount is tucked up near the exhaust system, and that heat degraded the rubber on this part of the mount. Needless to say, this is ridiculous. Honda should either use thicker rubber on this portion of the mount, or just mount a shield to protect it from heat. These parts should last way more than 5 years. I did call Honda Corporate Customer service, and politely asked if there was anything they could do. Unfortunately, there are no recalls on these parts. Shame on Honda for cheap engineering! I’ll remember this when I replace my other car…

I have a 2005 Odyssey. Just replaced an engine mount in Madison, Wi. Part cost = $540 w/ Labor and tax total cost was $745 @ 86K miles. The problem probably existed for a while now…so I’m guessing around 70K is when the mount actually went bad. Honda told me the part was warrantied 5 years 60K miles. (how convenient) The part is clearly faulty and not engineered properly. After it goes out the engine will move dramatically when you accelerate. I’m sure this is not good for the power train when the engine is turning 3-4 inches every time you accelerate. If this isn’t a perfect candidate for a recall I don’t know what is? How about a class action law suit? If a majority of Odyssey owners from 03-06 are having this issue how much money would that be @ $600-$1500 per repair? I’ll be writing to several class action attorneys since Honda refuses to take care of their customers with a problem that is clearly rampant. This is my 1st honda. I loved the van till now. Other complaints include: very loud, grinding brakes. Power steering does not work at low speeds / parking, etc. I suspect I’ll need a major break job (new rotors and hubs) and a power steering over haul. That all should be cheap…on a van that hasn’t even hit 100K miles yet. Anyone want to buy a van?

I just had my 2005 Odyssey with 68,000 miles diagnosed with 2 broken motor mounts. The dealer said they cost $500 each plus labor. The dealer stated it is a common problem with that year Odyssey. Luckily my extended warranty is covering the cost of the repair, but Honda should clearly recall the 2005 Odyssey for bad motor mounts. I have never had a problem with broken motor mounts on other Hondas or Toyotas I have owned, all with more miles.

Same story–a little higher mileage. I suspect however, that this has been going on for some time. We’ve had it in over and over for the vibration and noise up front and were told each time that nothing could be found. This from three different dealers (we leave home for the winter). Even bought the extended warranty on this vehicle and, conveniently, the problem was found just after the 120K warranty expired. Our estimates are $820 for the front and $710 for the rear. This car has been nothing but a headache and we are done!! No more Honda. Does anyone know how unsafe it is to continue to drive it until we decide what we want to trade for? Need to go back up north for the holidays. thanks

HOW MUCH??? They must be rather special mounts. I have to replace at least 2 of the 4 on my wife’s 2004 Misubishi Eclipse GTS. If I buy good parts from Autozone, all 4 will be $350, from Rockauto.com, $260, for the same parts. I don’t know how much it would cost to install them, but it ought to take less than 3 hours of time. I am taking it to a renowned and inexpensive local shop to get an estimate and if it is too high I will do it myself; it is not a hard job.

I have always bought Honda (2 Accords) or Toyota (4Runner, TC), then I let my wife buy an Eclipse … granted, it had 75K on the clock when we bought it, but the shopping list so far is not good: replaced rusted rear catalytic converter assembly ($400, by self, improved model), replaced warped front rotors ($100, self, common eclipse problem), has a cracked dash (common eclipse problem), has a window problem with a Technical Service Bulletin (not recall? it is a manufacturing problem, will do by self from TSB), now needs motor mounts.

I hate having a car that has to go in the shop, it is time and money.

Fortunately, my car is a Scion TC with 100K on the clock; it has never been in the shop, except for normal service (and a wreck I had … someone deposited a wheel on the highway, thereby taking out my bumpers and exhaust system). It is strange that when I compare the Eclipse to the TC, the TC’s wheel wells, engine bay, and parts all look like new, while the Eclipse has rust in the engine bay, wear in the wells and obviously has not lasted as well as the TC; same mileage, same age. The TC’s exhaust looks great (the parts that were not replaced on collision) while the Eclipse’s exhaust is rusty.

I digress.