Join the Car Talk Community!

Discussion Rules

Welcome to the Car Talk Community!

Want to ask a question or join the discussion? Great! Join now.

Sign In Register

Grinding noise in first gear?

I was wondering if I could get some advice. My boyfriend REFUSES to get his car looked at, so I was wondering if I could get a second opinion from any of you out there regarding this problem he's been having.

He has a used automatic Hyundai Elantra, and every time he starts the car and drives it at low speeds, there's a low level grinding noise. It's especially evident when he's turning corners.

Any ideas what this might be? Is it serious? He drives forty minutes to see me twice a week and I just don't want his axle to break or something cataclysmic like that when he's on the highway! I have a feeling he may trust the folks on the car talk discussion board more than my (gentle) nagging. Thanks!

• edited December 2007
    It sounds like a bad wheel bearing. If it's worse when turning left then it's the right side bearing and vice-versa.
    He should get this checked before he finds himself on the side of the road sometime with a considerably more expensive repair due to ignoring the problem and wondering why he did not listen to you in the first place.
  • edited December 2007
    It could be the transmission or a motor mount, bad ball joint or quite a few other problems. Let him refuse to get it looked at if it has over 90,000 miles on it because it might not be worth fixing anyway.
This discussion has been closed.