Zero Clearance engine

timing-belts
belts

I have a 2007 Hyundai Sonata with a 2.4l 4 cyl. engine. I know that the timing belt is not a chain. What I don’t know is if the engine is a zero clearance engine or when the timing should be changed. I have looked in the service manual and I cannot find anything that indicates when (or if) the belt should be changed. Does anyone have any ideas?

By zero clearance I assume you mean interference.

If you have nothing in the owner’s manual scheduled maintainance pertaining to scheduled changing of the timing belt, you can safely assume that you have a chain. I’ve noticed that manufacturers seem to be going back to chains. I was pleasantly surprised when I bought my Scion tC, a Camry engine, that Toyota had gone back to chains.

If you’d like to feel more comfortable, call the Hyndae service department and ask them.

If it’s a belt it WILL need to be changed. Most cars these days recommend a timing belt change every 100k miles. If it is a belt there should be a entry in the maintenance schedule of the owners manual. If it’s NOT there then call the dealer.

www.gates.com might give you some information also.

Yep, as of 2006 Hyundai joined the crowd & went back to using a timing chain. Thank goodness.

Amen.

Congratulations! Your engine has a timing chain, and you have one less thing to worry about.