2003 Hyundai Santa Fe

I bought a 2003 Hyundai Santa Fe that has 100,000 miles and have no information whether the timing chain has ever been changed. Is it something I need to get done?

Timing chains don’t need to be changed unles they get noisy. Check if your vehicle has a TIMING BELT first. If so, it should have been changed at 60,000-70.000 miles. If no rcord exists, and you have a belt, change it immediately. You would be living on borrowed time.

WARNING,
Docknick gave you very good advice.

Check your Owner’s Manual for information about your timing belt. Most must be replaced before 100,000 to avoid doing very serious and expensive engine damage.

I did the research that I explain below and it shows you have a timing belt instead of a timing chain that must be maintained (replaced). Like Docknick said " If no record exists, and you have a belt, change it immediately. You would be living on borrowed time."

Clicking on the link below and reading about “interference engines” will explain this in more detail.

Also, identify which of three different engines you have in your vehicle. There is a 2.4L 4-cylinder, and 2.7L and 3.5L 6-cylinders engines which are installed in this model and then you can then use the “Find out now” to see that these are interference engines with timing belts.

Here is the link:
http://www.gates.com/brochure.cfm?brochure=2256&location_id=3487&go=TBHome