Yukon Leaks

I have a 2002 GMC Yukon XL with 150,000 miles on it. This week I noticed a small leak. I took it to the mechanic & he said it has 2 leaks. One being the front differential axle shaft seal and the other is the rear engine oil seal. He sprayed it with cleaner & let car run for 1 1/2 hours & it did not leak. He is going to drive it to see if driving it makes it leak. Are these major repairs?

the axle seal isnt too pricey, but the rear main seal is around a 10 hour job. the big problem with the seal is not that the seal is bad, but that the block is porous where the rear plate seals to it.

This situation is one that can most likely be dealt with by simply keeping an eye on things. Seepage will happen and since cars in the U.S are not inspected and failed for oil leakage/seepage, just monitor the situation.

In reality, with your model truck and the mileage you have you are doing very well.

I bet you would be charged minimum 2.5 hours on the axel and 10 does sound good on the rear seal. With labor at 100.00 or so per hour (even at independants) both would be “major” for me.