You couldn't exploit its performance potential on public roads

You cannot exploit the performance potential of any modern car on public roads. Even a Hyundai Accent or similar model.

Top speed probably not… performance? Ohhh yes you can… lol… just don’t get caught doing it…

I guess you meant legally…

Wow i am showing my age. When i read your post, my first reaction was “why would someone put a supercharger at the track; it belongs on an engine!”.

2 Likes

I am German, tell me I can’t do it I will! :dark_sunglasses: Now where to get a test drive :wink:

1 Like

On the plus side an interesting engineering demonstration of one factor of EV potential.

On the negative side a silly waste of time and money on something that has no practical application. What’s next, the Cannon Fired car?

Perhaps there’s too many people who can afford such vehicles.
Josef Stalin would have a simple solution for this.

Stalin? I’m pointing out that folks who think EVs are an easy CO2 solution aren’t taking into account the fact that making the batteries releases a lot of CO2, so there’s a payback involved. Cars that use huge amounts of batteries will never reach the breakeven point, leaving us worse off.

A bit like bio-diesel. Great idea, except that thousands of acres of rainforest have been cut down for palm oil plantations, digging a CO2 hole that will never be filled.

2 Likes

I think you got the wrong answer. A McLaren F1 is worth $22 million and there are only 68 of them. You aren’t insuring that for $3000 a year. A lesser McLaren, maybe, but not an F1

1 Like

I think you are right, when I called my insurance agent to find out the cost of insuring my McLaren, they asked me what model it was. I told them I would check the Matchbox Blister Pack and they said, “What? You’ll need to drive it here…”
I asked if I could just carry the package to them? LoL…

1 Like

I doubt if you really did that . At least I hope not .

There’s a lot of myths or beliefs out there that may not have any basis in reality. Here’s one reference to peruse regarding lifetime emissions of EV vs ICE:

1 Like

Here’s a good discussion of the CO2 payback. It’s based on the same study quoted by the EPA. As one might expect, payback is a function both of materials used during manufacture and the CO2 emitted by the source of electricity:
Analysis: When do electric vehicles become cleaner than gasoline cars? | Reuters

A young man (mid-twenties) who worked for me in Texas in the mid-'90s drove a sport motorcycle (crotch-rocket…) and he came back from lunch and was kicking things around and cursing and swearing. I called him aside and asked what’s going on. He said that when he coming back from lunch, he was stopped at a light and when it turned green, he accelerated away, and he did admit he accelerated hard, but did not exceed the speed limit. He was pulled over and received a couple of tickets, Unsafe Acceleration and Reckless Driving. The police officer admitted he did not exceed the speed limit, he just got to it too quickly and that was unsafe.

He ultimately beat the “Unsafe Acceleration,” but he was found guilty of “Reckless Driving”

So, yeah, you may not drive it fast, but it’s how you drive it that also counts. Especially if the vehicle “looks fast…”

I remember a car commercial a long time ago, that goes something like this. A policeman gave the driver of this car a ticket because the car looked fast…

Kinda makes you wonder how the Tesla Plaid S drivers are treated by the cops. IIRC it has a 0-60 time of like 2 seconds

How would the cops differentiate a Plaid from a base Model S? In any case, the base model is no slouch eather, goin 0-60 in 3.1 seconds instead of the 1.99 seconds of the Plaid.

Most people here in the North East don’t drive those vehicles from November to May. So, while in storage the insurance drops to almost nothing.

Mostly because of how quick they are, just about any pressure on the pedal could be construed as “accelerating too fast from a stop”.

You have to be in ludicrous mode to get the 1.99 sec 0-60 time. I think the normal setting provides equivalent performance to the non-Plaid S.

Do you have to do anything special to get the Storage Insurance, such as turn in your plates. Does your insurance company just trust you not to drive it while it is “in storage?”

tenor

Back in the '60’s I lived in Upstate New York and rode motorcycles even back then… When winter came around, we (most of my friend who also rode…) would to stop our motorcycle insurance since it was so atrociously high since most of us were “Assigned Risk.” Back then, the insurance companies did not require us to turn in our plates, so when the weather was nice, we were back on the roads, abet without insurance…

Back then, I had several bikes, a '58 Triumph Trophy 6, a Honda 305 Scrambler and a Bultaco 250 Dirt Bike that I Ice Raced on and since the tires were studded, I drove it a lot, all winter, and did not take the insurance off the Bultaco. Oh did it ever throw a shower of sparks when I locked the back wheel or spun the tire under hard acceleration on the paved roads…

Over the years, the insurance companies (at least mine…) changed the way they insured motorcycles… They claimed that the “yearly rate” was assessed against the anticipated usage (mileage…). For example, if you stopped the insurance for 3-months during the winter, you would only save about 7%-10% of the premium; while 3-months during the summer might add up to 30%-40% and they also required proof that the license plate were turned so it could not be ridden without insurance…

I now live in Southeast Virginia and leave the insurance on all my vehicles all year and I do not even ask about this anymore…

My wife’s '85 Toyota Corolla (bought New…) has been eligible for Antique Plates with the accompanying reduced insurance for almost 15-years, but she does not want them on her “baby” (which is a She…) as my wife says a “Lady” does not express her age… LoL…

IIRC there is also a mileage requirement, like 5000 max per year, to qualify for classic car insurance. That is, it can’t be a daily driver.

1 Like