You couldn't exploit its performance potential on public roads

… but if one wants the new “fastest road car”, here it is:

I wonder if my State Farm agent will write a policy for this if I lose my mind and buy one ( of course I would have to use someone’s bank account ) .

I’m guessing that the annual insurance cost might be higher than the purchase price of a new econobox.

I doubt that any owner would put more than a thousand miles per year on this car. Given its performance, I see it more as a track car than a street machine. Of course, the owner can do whatever they want with it. The article doesn’t say whether it’s street legal in the US. I’ll change my name to Captain Slow if they let me test it.

1 Like

I don’t see the point of this. It is fast enough to get in serious trouble in so many ways.

I agree with this;

It isn’t a track car since there are almost no fast chargers installed at racetracks (at least in the US). You’ll need one to feed the energy drain a car like this requires.

I have mixed feelings about this vehicle . I find it impressive that it can be this fantastic but still wonder why build something like this . I thought Electric vehicles were supposed to be good for our air quality and give people less costly transportation.

A small 7 passenger van type with a range of 250 to 300 miles with a cost under 35000.00 would be much more interesting .

2 Likes

That might have been the original intent, but everyone–at every price point–is now getting into the act. Next year, GM will be selling the Corvette EV, which will be their fastest car yet.

I think the chances of speeding rise with a high performance car. Hard to resist using the available power. And 90% of hipo cars are never driven on track.

If someone can afford the Nevera, he could easily afford installation of a supercharger at his favorite track. There is probably a 480V line that could be used for one or more stalls. Another possibility is to bring it with him in the form of power packs used to transfer the juice needed for a recharge. I can’t see how an owner could get full satisfaction without access to a track.

1 Like

This car was built to claim EV bragging rights.

I’m seeing large numbers of scarce, valuable batteries wasted on these kinds of vehicles, along with $150,000 sedans and EV Hummers.

3 Likes

I can’t see how an owner can get satisfaction even if he had access to a track! EVs don’t do well at lapping days. They tend to overheat and drastically drain their batteries. Plus this thing would be limited to an F1 certified track as other would not have the safety considerations for a car of this performance. And maybe only a few of those considering the fire safety and insurance issues.

I see this car as a Faberge egg; Pretty with excellent bragging rights but useless.

But that fits Rimac’s business model as they bought Bugatti from VAG a couple of years ago. While the Bugatti Veyron ad Chiron were incredible cars, they were essentially useless. It was Ferdinand Piech’s engineering exercise before he retired. People bought them and tucked them away.

1 Like

That’s one way to look at it. There are far more EVs with much smaller battery capacities and less powerful motors built. Looking at it from your perspective stated above is like saying there are too many Hellcats and other super powerful ICE vehicles on the road. While true that there are a lot of them, there are far more less powerful ICE cars too.

There’s a difference - the super powerful ICE vehicles only use gas when driven. The super powerful EVs used up all those batteries the day they were built. The CO2 emissions hole that dug will never be filled in.

1 Like

All I saw was 0-60 MPH in 1.74 seconds (would like to know it’s 60’ times) and the standing quarter mile in 8.26 seconds!!! I would drive the wheels off that thing… If I could afford it anyway… lol

My Model 3 loses a mile range every couple of days. How much more does a HUMMER EV lose and does it matter to the people that own them?

Like the chillin with Chet idiot. He survived his 100 mph track crash. Oh well.

0 to 60 mph in 1.75 seconds? hmmm … that’s a pretty good acceleration number for a car. But the Saturn V rocket has nothing to worry about. Admittedly, S-V is harder to park in the garage.

Its street legal, passed crash and epa range tests , might be same dealers as. Bugatti.

1.74 seconds, it probably took an extra 500HP for that faster 0.01 second speed.
Drag racers will spend thousand of dollars for an extra tenth of a second… Running a 10.01 in the 1/4 mile is no where as good as running in the 9’s… :rofl:

When I was much younger I was talking to a racer at the track about his Cuda and he said his car ran 10.50 and I said cool it runs 10.5’s, he very fast corrected me and said it runs 10.50 not 10.5’s… lol

1 Like

Since a McLaren was mentioned in the article, I googled “what is the insurance cost for a McLaren F1 supercar” and this is what Google returned…

“The average cost of car insurance for a McLaren model is about $5,052 per year. This is $2,827 worse than other luxury brands. Our car insurance comparison studies assume a 40-year old good driver with full coverage and good credit, that drives around 13,000 miles per year.”

However, the article goes on to say that an 18-year old, with bad credit would pay over $27,000 a year for insurance. But the article makes no mention how an 18-year old, with bad credit could get one of this cars… Perhaps a “Rich Daddy” might buy one for his favored son, and if he were dumb enough to do that, he would probably also put sonny on his insurance… Hope Daddy is really rich…

McLaren Insurance Rates.

1 Like