X3 lack of acceleration after 3,000 rpm

23,000 miles 2008 X3 3.0si AWD manual transmission.

the car is due for service.

i noticed the gears are sort of short - 1st and 2nd gears get to 3,000 rpm steadily and fast but then reach a plateau where rpm increase but speed does not - then starts increasing but not as steady as from start to 3,000 rpm - without knowledge i would say that it feels like there is a restriction of “gas” after 3,000 rpm for a little bit then opens up but not as “wide” as in 1st gear.

is this a service - tune up issue - or a software issue - or some other component issue ?

This is a warranty issue, or did you buy without warranty, or mod the car so warranty has been denied?

thank you for your reply - if the car is under warranty or not is only relevant to the cost of repairing it - i need to know what are the possible problems and solution when i take it for service - thanks

if the car is under warranty or not is only relevant to the cost of repairing it -
i need to know what are the possible problems and solution when i take it for service

While it’s nice to know the solution ahead of time, isn’t that a problem that BMW needs to figure out? Even if you went in and told them where you thought the problem was, they would still need to do their diagnostic steps to arrive at their own conclusion.

Exactly.

If you take it to BMW for warranty-related repairs, and you give them a diagnosis to pursue, what happens if that diagnosis is incorrect? Who would pay for the parts that they installed but were actually not needed? Certainly neither the dealership nor BMW corporate would pay, and the bill would actually be the responsibility of the car owner. That would transform warranty-paid repairs into owner-paid repairs.

If you really want your warranty to cover the cost of repairs, you should allow the dealership to diagnose the problem. All you need to do is to describe the symptoms in detail and take a mechanic along for a ride in order to demonstrate the problem.

The guy wants your ideas …something which most here aren’t short on.

I don’t know if this is a drive by wire engine or not. I don’t know if this has some funky management system that won’t let you peak 3000rpm without pushing a few buttons.

Can the engine rev freely in neutral to above 3000 rpm? If not, with some chassis that I was familiar with, I’d be looking toward a plugged cat(s). That’s the usual cause of having the pavement turn to wet cement at a lower specific rpm range.