Would it be possible to have aftermarket air conditioning installed on an early 00s car?

I think about all the work required to obtain all the needed parts, disassemble the dash, snake freon lines through the engine compartment, install everything, get the electrical stuff to work, fix all the stuff I broke taking everything apart, etc, etc…no thanks.

2 Likes

The only way this would be feasible would be if the OP was mechanically inclined enough (apparently not which is not meant to be a knock) to do all of the labor after finding a donor car. Odds are the donor car compressor would be on shaky ground so I would be hesitant to use that component. It would be time consuming even for someone who is proificient.

Most of the cars back in the 80s/90s that came with no A/C actually already had certain electrical wiring run for A/C use. Most of the A/C installs were simply adding the condenser, compressor, drop the glove box/etc, install the evaporator case, lines, evacuate, charge, leak test, and send it out. I used to install a lot of those units back in the day and enjoyed doing it because it paid well.

I ran into a goofball A/C unit on a new Subaru and which had been installed by a dealer approx. 100 miles away. It would not cool the car on an 80 degree day and was not only the strangest thing I have ever seen but the only one of its kind.

Most parts are available new on Rock Auto; Four Seasons compressor kit $225, condenser $65, evaporator core $50, lines etc.

The control panel and wiring connectors may be harder to find.

$3000 should cover the install, I see people spend that much and more every day on vehicles just as old.

“With enough determination, effort, patience, and of course $$$$’s, anything is possible”

Yep, guys got to the moon and back and it was air-conditioned all the way.

Cost just $25.4 billion, + or-

5 Likes