Have 1990 Ford Festiva need aftermarket AC

I have a 1990 Ford Festiva that my mom bought me new. About 8 years ago the ac and even the heater started acting up. Now I haven’t had ac in years and as I live in Tucson this is a problem. I have spent a lot of money trying to get the ac running but it just doesn’t work. Does anybody know if I can buy an actual aftermarket ac/heater system, (like the one the dealership had installed), and get a mechanic to install it? Can a general mechanic install it or do I need to find someone who specializes in ac?

How funny, trying to tag my post with the make and model and it doesn’t even show the Festiva. I still like my little car.

@asroco

It would seem to be easier and cheaper to get your AC going, versus tearing it out and installing an add-on ac system

“spent a lot of money trying to get the ac running but it just doesn’t work.”

Could you elaborate?

@asroco

Something just occurred to me

I’m not sure it makes financial sense to do any ac repairs . . . or any major repairs on a 1990 Festiva

No offense, but the car aint worth squat

Except for the fan, the heat and a/c systems are pretty much separate. You’ll need to describe all the problems and work done in detail. Like @db4690 said, putting in a whole new system, if it could be done, seems like way more $$$ than fixing what you have (if you absolutely want to keep your Festiva).

Seems like you’re either gonna spend a lot of $$ to retrofit this or stick with your 2-60 setup as is. Why isn’t fixing the original AC an option? Rocketman