Working on transmission, pickup rolls, front tire kills man

Recently I was replacing left front brake pads using only the vehicle jack.
SUV started moving forward until the wood 2x4s against the rear tires stopped it.

RG , why do you keep posting these news items ?

In case others wanto take short cuts.
My 2x4s slid. Should have used something better.
Glad that I kicked the 2x4s against the tires, otherwise they might had slid more and the vehicle fallen on the wheel hub.

Yeah, um, don’t do that.

5 Likes

@Robert-Gift if you want to live, you’ll buy . . . and USE . . . a proper jack, wheel chocks and jack stands

If you don’t care about your life and health . . . keep on doing what you’ve been doing :grinning:

2 Likes

Yeah, a VERY bad ideal!

2 Likes

Expected the right front tire on the garage floor, locked in Park, to also hold enough.
Since then bought a small hydraulic jack and two strong jackstands at Goodwill. Still need curved chocks.

Which is dangerous and stupid. Be thankful you did not “Darwin” yourself like this person did.

I strongly suggest you not do that again.

3 Likes

The worst which would happen is the left hub dropping onto the cement floor.
I am only under the vehicle when doing my OCD oil changes with front wheels on the Walmart plastic ramps. Each ramp has a shallow “well” the tires settle in to prevent the vehicle from rolling backward. Still, I place a 2x4 behind a rear wheel.

Famous last words…

1 Like

No, the worst that would happen is the car drops when that 39 cent O-ring fails onto your leg which is momentarily under that hub OR the fender breaks your neck when you are looking in to insert the caliper bolt.

But you keep being you!

3 Likes

And once again another thread by the RG Trolling company .

2 Likes

Just get a pair of these and the car wont roll forward or backward:

MaxxHaul 50011 Rubber Wheel Chock with Eyelet (6-1/2" x 3-3/4" x 4"), 2 Pack https://a.co/d/3tSelQF

2 Likes

Park does not work when one of the drive wheels is off the ground.

2 Likes

6 Likes

Use jack stands, this would be a stupid way to die.

Interesting. Thank you. (Assumed thathe RX350 front rightire slid a little.)

Now using a small hydraulic floor jack and resthe vehicle on the jack stands.
Using wood 2x4s against front and back of both tires.

Presuming this is a light to medium weight passenger vehicle, that configuration should work pretty good. I maybe go a little overboard on the safety thing myself, always use jack-stands, leave the jack in place but with just a touch of upward force, rubber wheel chocks on at least two wheels, and 2X and 4X wood in case everything fails (earthquake for example), car frame will land on the piled wood. If I remove a tire I put that under the vehicle too, with wood on top to minimize the distance the car will fall.

For your configuration, the main change I’d suggest to is replace the 2x4 wheel chocks with rubber wedge commercial wheels chocks, not overl y expensive. If not that, then at least saw up some 2x4s pieces into a wedge shape. the wedge shape is safer b/c if car rolls, it rolls onto the bottom of the wedge, then the force of the car tends to hold the wedge in place.

anybody else do this? when I mow the lawn with a gasoline powered lawnmower, I wear heavy-duty safety eye protection, hearing-protecting ear muffs, and a respiratory-filter/mask. I tried along with all that, also wearing a full face shield, but that seemed to cause more problems than it solved. the heavy duty eye protection is a must imo. I’ve been hit smack dab on the safety glass (actually plastic) with a fast moving rock, other than surprised sensation, no damage at all.

1 Like

I used to be tempted to not use a jack stand to do simple wheel work. But I can’t remember a time that I had a car in the air and got distracted by checking tie rods or something. There is always something to check causing my head to get underneath there somewhere. One mistake and your done. And my kids will never see a jack unaccompanied with a jack stand in my garage.

2 Likes

Not many care for some of your posts, but I don’t think anyone here wants to see you add your name to the forum members we’ve lost over the years.

1 Like