Working on transmission, pickup rolls, front tire kills man

The jack is left in place since it wilbe used to let the vehicle down.

As a registered tree-hugger and Greenie using a battery-powered mower, I wear eye protection and hearing protection.
Alsome hearing protection when tuning pipe organs.
(Warn others to wear hearing protection when I play.)

Shall use the Walmart plastic ramps as wheel chocks until I can obtain some.

As a registered oil-lover and gas burnerā€¦ :rofl: (couldnā€™t pass it up)
Why do you need to wear hearing protection from an electric mower, Iā€™ve never even worn them with gas burnersā€¦ Now when I weed eat (gasser) I do wear a full face shield as well as most any grinding done in my home shopā€¦

And BTW being a registered anything has nothing to do with protectionā€¦

PS I know I may regret askingā€¦ lol

2 Likes

Older mower and louder than onexpects. Justrying to save whatever I can. The registered idealisthing to do.

Burned a lot of oil on a 120+ mph blood transport againstrong headwinds and up hill.
Wish the blood platelets could be flown by drone.

Now to change the coolant in the 2021 RX350 at 124927.

1 Like

Did you put the wheel under the car like youā€™re supposed to when you change a tire to prevent it from falling all the way down in the event of a jack failure?

Donā€™t buy jackstands at goodwill. Or car ramps.

1 Like

Just positioned the tire under the lift area.
Do not wanto damage thexpen$ive wheel.
The jacks with our vehicles are all screw-type.

The jack stands areally nice. Mucheavier thaneeded for our vehicles and they appear in good condition.
Boughthe plastic ramps at Walmart after reading their weight capacity and knowing our vehiclesā€™ weights.

As far as Goodwill goesā€¦Google ā€œjack stand recallā€ to see the 1.5 million stands that were recalled. (I expect this has been discussed here before.)

1 Like

Are you afraid of the parking brake for some reason? Lifting the front end to do work means the parking brake can secure the carā€¦ as long as it works properly.

Uh-oh. Thank you.
Ainā€™t never heard a no jack stand recall.
Would the faulty jack stands not have been returned and replaced free of charge?

Manyears ago I bought a non heating microwave at Goodwill.
GE replaced the magnetron free of charge.

There are times when itā€™s smart to be a cheapskate

When it comes to your safety . . . this is NOT one of those times

Buy reputable and NEW jack stands and a jack

That means avoid Harbor Fake and Goodwill

1 Like

At 360?k, due to a computer problem the 2016 RX350ā€™s automatic parking brakes, operated by a switch, no longer engage.
No GPS, no radio, no cell phone through speakers, heating and defrost must be finessed to work, no a lot features.
(Disconnected the battery overnight. Nothing improved.)

Only if the owner was aware of the recall. Jack stands are not like cars with a trackable VIN number. Just like a pistol I have, purchased from a private seller. I only became aware of a manufacturer safety recall, actual modification, by reading hunting magazines. Finely got around to getting the modification done 30 years later. They returned the original parts for collectors that are ā€œ puristsā€ and want the gun original.

1 Like

Did you really just write that? I do not know about you, but my experience with Recalls is they might be posted at the front of a store in some discrete location, out of the way and barely noticeable. Costco seems to go out of their way to post them in an obvious location, near customer service, but I do not remember the last time I actually walked up to a Recall Board and reviewed it for products I might have purchased over the yearsā€¦

Do you really believe that the manufactures of various Recalled Products have any way of tracking who bought their products, other than motor vehiclesā€¦

Even when you register your product it is no guarantee that the manufacture will notify youā€¦ For example, we bought our home about 20-years ago, it was 15-years old then. The smoke detectors were battery powered and wired (interconnected, if one went off, they all went offā€¦). Because of their age and they were old technology, I replaced all of them and sent in the registration paperworkā€¦ One failed after about 8-years. I checked their web site and noticed a Recall Notice and saw that our model had been recalled several years previouslyā€¦ I contacted them and asked why we were never contacted. They did not answer that, but responded that they would happily replace all of our smoke detector for free, which they didā€¦

So, the moral of the story is: You have to do your own ā€œDue Diligenceā€ when you are concerned about any product recallsā€¦

And now that Iā€™ve written this and did a bit Due Diligence on my own, I may also have Recalled Jack Standsā€¦

If one learns of a recall and returns them, they would not be at Goodwill.
Must go see what I bought. They look familiar.

[The Goodwill jack stands are PRO-LIFT 6 TON]

I was talking to the wife about this particular topic because my jack stands looks so much like those sold by Harbor Freight, but mine sport a ā€œMackā€ label. Perhaps they were manufactured by the same business but marketed under various namesā€¦

And she reminded me that on at least two separate occasions when shopping at Kroger Supermarket for groceries and one time, while buying Flour, the receipt came up with a warning that a previous batch of the Flour had been recalled. On another occasion, when buying peanut butter, we received the same warning about a previous batch and to also bring it back for a full refundā€¦

And to keep it automotive, all the recalls on all of our vehicles have been checked and fulfilledā€¦

1 Like

The wife also reminded me about her 67 Firebird Spare Tire Recallā€¦ about 3-years after we sold the car in the late '70s, we received a recall notice for the ā€œSpace-Saver Spareā€¦ā€ The spare was an uninflated Full Size Tire, that came with collapsed sidewalls. The spare came with a cylinder of compressed air that you use to inflate the tireā€¦

It was recalled because it either leaked or the sidewall could expectantly blow out during useā€¦

We did not get the Space Saver Spare, but a regular full size spare tireā€¦ I asked the seller why the spare did not fit the trunk mount and he explained about that ā€œspare.ā€ When he needed it, he filled it and it leaked like a sieve, so he dumped it and replaced it with a regular tire, but he gave us the empty cylinderā€¦

1 Like

Iā€™m reminded of a newspaper advert, quite a few years ago. In an unfortunate turn of luck, both the vehicle being advertised had been recently recalled (Ford Explorer I think), and the tires it was using (Firestone) had also been recalled ā€¦ lol ā€¦

2 Likes

ā€œThe Firestone and Ford tire controversy of the 1990s saw hundreds of people die in automobile crashes caused by the failure of Firestone tires ā€¦ā€

Need they have died?
Were they wearing seat-belts?

How does a tire dropping an inch or so in height necessitate crashing oneā€™s vehicle?

Ford had too stiff a spring on the new design and customers were complaining about the harsh ride, Ford told the customers to lower the air pressure from 35 psi to 26 psi for a better ride and with the exhaust pipe running very close to that one tire it overheated and would blow outā€¦ Tragic thing to happenā€¦

1 Like