Back in Texas, I asked my son-in-law to examine the brakes on the Mexican Sienna to see if they needed work. He told me the front pads were about 1/8 new size and they needed replacing ASAP. I drove back to Mexico, 840 miles and drove around for 6 weeks. I did buy new ceramic pads in Cordoba, but time passed without our cousin helping me find a mechanic to install them.
I finally told him I need to change them NOW. He asked if he could watch so he would know how to do it. He has always paid someone, because not knowing how he was afraid to do it himself.
Today was the day. He was an hour and a half late, so I finally started without him.
I do not have a floor jack. Neither does he, because a good one costs several weeks income. Thus, I could not find a way to get the jack stands in a optimal location. Finally, I said, "Well, sometimes a man has gotta' do what a man has gotta' do."
So, I realized that I could not have a proper place to put the jack stands and would have to, er, punt and support the car with the scissors jack. I know, I know, but there was no real choice, except to keep driving with marginal pads or pay a mechanic of uncertain ability which could be worse.
I put a spare wheel/tire assembly under the front of the car as a back-up. When I got the car up and the wheel off, I put that wheel assembly under the car, just behind the jack location. I felt and I still feel this reduced the chance of being seriously injured or killed to a very low level. Plus we had no intention of getting well under the car any more than needed to get the job done.
It has been a long time since I replaced pads, so to be sure to be correct, I went to Youtube and watched every relevant video, making sure I missed nothing.
By the time he got here, I had the left wheel brakes nearly done, except for putting the new pads on and screwing things down again. I explained the need to pump the brakes before moving the car. And, he helped me hold the caliper to use the C-clamp to compress it.
When reassembling, it is necessary in many cases to hold the second nut while tightening the outer 14 mm nut. I had a 17 mm wrench, but it was too wide to fit in there. So, he dug around and found a thin 3/4 wrench which did the job. So, I wonder if it is 17 mm as stated in the manual, 3/4 doesn't seem to be 17 mm.
I had no torque wrench, but think I will buy one later this week when I go to Tehuacan. Later in the spring, when I return to Texas to renew my d/l I may check out a floor jack for maximum safety. It looks like a pretty good one might run $300 or more. I realize I could get by with a cheaper one, but I am sure he will be wanting to borrow it for a variety of things other than his Yukon and my Sienna, so for an extra couple hundred I can get one which will serve us both for all needs for a long time.
On the right side, he was there the whole time. He is pretty smart, so by the time we got that one done, I am sure he can do his own brakes in the future. In the past, he has had to pay around two days income (when he has income) to a mechanic to do the job. That is also about the cost of the new pads.
I let him do most of i once he showed upt, because he tends to learn by doing. I even had him start the car and pump up the brakes again so he knew what it felt like. I had told him about watching the reservoir for overflow, but the level didn't move that much.
I got on Youtube and his son's Ranger is almost identical except it takes a 15 mm to take off the caliper. The Yukon simply has a different wrench, maybe an Allen wrench, I am not sure what year it is.
So, I felt real good about today. I not only got my pads installed, but he also learned how which means his sons will soon enough know as well. This comes under the category of teach a man to fish rather then giving him a fish.
Since I bought this car used, I need to check the rear pads soon, just in case.