Won't start warm

I have a 1995 Beretta Z26 with a 101,000 mi. that has always started hard cold. Lately if I shut the car down when it?s warmed up, it will start but chug. If I give it gas or put it in gear it stales immediately. If I let the car sit for a half hour it starts right up. I?ve got it started twice with ether but the last time this did not do the trick. I have replaced the fuel pressure regulator with no change in performance. I changed the plugs, wires, fuel filter and air filter before this problem started 5,000 mi., 4 months ago. What is wrong with this Beretta?

The next time you go to start the vehicle, turn the ignition switch to the run position so that the dash lights come on for two seconds, and then turn the ignition switch off. Repeat this a dozen times in your case, and then try starting the engine. If the engine starts right up and runs smoothly, the anti-drain back valve in the fuel pump assembly is totally shot!

Tester

Thank you very much for answering my question. Is the anti-drain back valve in the fuel pump?

Yes - it is usually part of the pump. Fixing it would normally mean replacing the pump.

One other possibility to look for is flooding - where the fuel in the line drains into the cylinders either via leaky fuel pressure regulator or fuel injectors. When you’re trying to start it warm and it won’t go are you ever smelling fuel? You can try to hold the pedal to the floor as you start - this would help clear the flooding.

But you almost certainly have either too little (all the fuel drains back to the tank) or too much (fuel draining into cylinders) fuel. Since the cold start is also a bit hard I’d first guess along w/ Tester at the pump check valve.

Tester:

I’ve already replaced the fuel presure regulator with no change. I do not smell raw fuel or richness when the car will not start and it will not even try to start when I hold the peadle to the metal. I to was thinking of leakey fuel injectors. I stuck my nose in the exaust pipe when it won’t start and I do not smell fuel, so I don’t think it’s a leaky fuel injector. Thank you for your help.

Tester is the one who said its probably the check valve in the fuel pump - and I’d now say that this is almost certainly the issue. Do like he said - turn the key to on a bunch of times to let the pump pressurize the lines completely. It will probaly start right up.

The fuel pump did it. Thank you very much for all your help.