Wierd Starting Issues

Just recently I have started having issues with my Suburban not wanting to start after it sets for a day or two. It’s will turn over and crank but not “hit”. Now here is the weird thing. Once the battery has drained and I jump it off it starts right up. Earlier this year I had the distributor and all that goes with it replaced but this problem did not surface until 6 months later.

The problem might be caused from a defective fuel pump anti-drain-back valve. To confirm this, the next time you go to start the engine after it has sat for a while, turn the ignition on so the dash lights come on for two seconds, and then turn the ignition off. Repeat this a dozen times and then try starting the engine. If the engine starts right up, the anti-drain-back valve is defective.

Tester

I thought it was the fuel pump but I can hear it coming on. Here’s something that I was told to try. The pressure relief valve under the hood of the truck. Some one told me to turn the key on and see if there is any thing coming out of it when I press the needle down. There is nothing coming out of it when the truck is trying to start. Any clue on this?

If the anti-drain-back valve is defective, the fuel will leak back into the fuel tank from the fuel rails and fuel line. So now there’s air in the system.

When you turn the ignition on, the fuel pump only runs for second or two and then shuts off. This isn’t long enough to reprime the fuel system and build the proper fuel pressure. When you turn the ignition switch on and off a dozen times, this cycles the fuel pump enough times to reprime the fuel system and build the proper fuel pressure.

Try it.

Tester

Thanks, I will try it and see what happens. Thanks again for the help.