Windshield Wipers

I have a Volvo S80 2006:Recently the windshield wipers( esp. the one on the drivers side) goes stuttering along the glass.

Volvo dlrshp says it’s because of use of Invisible glass and Rain-X.

they sprayed windex on glass and ran wipers and it was smooth…then I drove home and the “Stuttering” started soon after leaving the dlrshp.

Any ideas or help with this annoying and potentially hazardous problem?

How old are the blades? Chattering can result from old blades, also from slight misalignment between blade and glass.

Thanks for your reply.
these are new blades…only two months old.

BMW gave us a fix on the X5 for this. It involved changing the angle of the wiper arm. This steel was very hard to bend and the tolerence was very close. Results were only moderately sucessful.

All three of the suggestions already noted are possible. Since you say you recently replaced the blades I have to ask. Did the problem start when you replaced the blades?

The Rain-X issue is also a real possibility and maybe they just did not get all the Rain-X off. It is difficult to get off. I suggest the ORIGINAL BonAmi cleanser. This is the stuff in the YELLOW can not the GOLD can. The gold can stuff can damage your glass, the yellow will not. The Yellow is harder to find. Check an old time hardware store. they often have it.

The alignment issue is also real. Generally it will stutter in only one direction. Make sure the alignment is correct. It only takes a little either way to get it wrong.

Here’s an alternative to the Bon Ami - try using a clay bar and lubricant on the windshield (the kind used to clean painted areas). I’ve not tried it, but found it recommended, sounds like a harmless thing to try.

Thanks for the suggestion…I’ll tell VoLvo to check this out.

Yes, the problem started after Volvo replaced the blades.
they’ll have to check the realignment.
Thanks for your ideas.

Thanks for your suggestion…i’ll try it.

Yes, the problem started after Volvo replaced the blades.
they’ll have to check the realignment.
Thanks for your ideas.

Then again they may have had some rather old blades that they put on your car and that could be the problem.

I agree with Joseph, buy a new set at WalMart (lots of inventory turnover there) and see if they work.