Windshield wiper

I have a "98 MB E320 station wagon and turned on the rear wiper when it was obstructed. The dealer wants to replace the wiper motor. Is it possible that the wiper motor has an overload safety and merely needs to be reset?

Yes, it’s possible, but I can’t tell you for sure if your vehicle has this feature.

I know many vehicles have an overload feature to prevent damage to the wiper motor in winter conditions, such as when the wiper is frozen to the glass.

If there was overload protection, however, it should have reset itself by now. Have you checked the rear wiper fuse or circuit breaker?

The fuse is good, maybe the dealer is right that the motor needs replacing. They are very proud of their parts though.

The dealer wants to replace the wiper motor. Is it possible that the wiper motor has an overload safety

That safety is called a fuse. It is also possible that there is some sacrificial part in the motor/gear assembly.

The question I have is why are you going to a dealer with a repair question that certainly is not under new car warranty? Look around for a good local independent mechanic and save a lot of money.

Does it now make any noise or any movement when you try to turn it on?  Next step is to see if it is getting power when it is turned on.