Windshield squirters too strong and can't be adjusted?

When the windshield washer stopped squirting, I took the car to my local mechanic. He installed a new washer pump. After the repair the squirters wildly sprayed the hood, top, and driver-side window. They were unable to make an effective adjustment to the squirters. So they installed new squirters, which didn’t help the problem at all. Is there a fix for this? Thank you!

I don’t know how difficult it is to remove the nozzles(squirters) but if it’s not too difficult you might experiment with drilling the jets out. A larger jet would reduce the thrust of the fluid while increasing the volume but if the jet is drilled too large the fluid will just dribble out. You might buy another set of nozzles and drill them, then attach them to the supply hose and experiment. If you get the spray pattern that you desire install them.

Maybe the wrong pump.

Are they located on the hood, wipers, or the cowl? Last set I bought were $70 so I’d be a little careful of them but geez, they are mounted to only spray in one place. Gonna have to look at them and see if they aren’t in place properly or what. Pretty simple really.

Wow… $70. I didn’t know that the Lunar Rover had a windshield spayer.

Do these nozzles not have a tiny ball socket on the outlet spray? I’ve always adjusted them with a sewing needle by inserting it in the opening and moving it very slightly in the direction desired.

As to excessive pressure I might say that could be perception that it’s too strong as you were acclimated to the old and quite likely partially clogged units.
If pressure really is an issue that can be tamed a bit by the insertion of a electrical wiring butt connnector inside the hose.

Dang; 70 bucks for washer nozzles? Ouch.

Yep. $35 each for the little plastic in the hood types. I had hail damages and the guys that fixed the hail evidently pulled the insulation under the hood and pulled the hoses. In the process they broke the nipples off. Couldn’t figure out why the washers didn’t work a month later but pretty evident once I took a look. GM part.

Depending on where its mounted though, I’m thinking either its not inserted properly or bent or otherwise screwed up.

Have you took it back to them?

I like @Ok4450s idea with the butt connector.
I was thinking a connector to repair a cut hose…fill it with a little putty that will harden and redrill the hole smaller to cut the pressure.

Yosemite

You could use something like this to reduce the flow rate:

http://www.thomassci.com/Equipment/Clamps-Supports/_/CLAMP?q=Tubing%20Clamp

Not hearing anything back from the OP, so we’re just talking among ourselves, if it is squirting on the hood and the side window, it is not pointed in the right direction. If its not aimed at the windshield, drilling out the holes aren’t going to help. We need to know how in the world they could be in their proper place and still squirting on the hood, but alas, I doubt we will hear anything.

Sprayed Hood - Top - Drivers side window – That is 3 different directions plus water turning 90 degrees in the air. I want to see these sprayers in action.

That is 3 different directions plus water turning 90 degrees in the air
Ever seen that Seinfeld bit about the spit?

Why would it be more desirable to modify the system to match the new pump than to make sure you have the correct pump and that the system isn’t partially plugged up with debris from the failed pump?

Well because if the pump was too much pressure, it would squirt the water over the roof, not to the side or on the hood. Likewise if it was plugged and needed cleaning, the water would just dribble at the bottom of the windshield or on the hood depending but not spray the side of the windows. And really I think the GM pumps are pretty universal and hard to imagine one that would fit but have too much pressure.

I wonder if anyone has checked alternator voltage.

Likewise if it was plugged and needed cleaning, the water would just dribble at the bottom of the windshield or on the hood depending but not spray the side of the windows.

So, in your mind a small particle wedged into the orifice could not conceivably cause an errant dispersion pattern but could only result in a near total loss of flow? Really?

And really I think the GM pumps are pretty universal and hard to imagine one that would fit but have too much pressure

Have you thought about what happens when you have a partially restricted output? What happens to the water output of your hose when you place your thumb over the output? In the event you’ve never done this, it comes out with greatly increased force and sprays at wide angles…

Yeah but I think they already said they tried to clean the nozzles and even replaced them so can’t see how there would still be any crud in the nozzle. Bottom line is none of this seems to add up. Maybe our legs are just getting pulled again.

Bing I think you may be correct about the leg pulling.

Well, I hope it’s not a ruse but that never stopped us from continuing to guess :smiley:

The old pump failed. Maybe it was because there is a lot of debris in the reservoir. That debris keeps plugging up the nozzles because no one bothered to address the real reason the original pump failed. Total speculation no doubt but that’s one way I see this playing out and explaining the results so far…

I think that the windshield washer pump was not designed for regular water, but was instead designed for deuterium oxide, which is known as heavy water. Deuterium is an isotope of hydrogen where the nucleus contains one proton and one neutron. This heavy water could not be pumped with such force and thus the windshield washer would work as intended.