Windshield replacement question (2009 Jeep Liberty)

The molding on the top edge of my windshield recently flew out while I was driving along a highway. My insurance company recommended a windshield replacement company for me, and I just took my Jeep to them to repair the molding.

After looking at my Jeep for a second, the mechanic immediately said that I did not need the molding for the top edge of the windshield. He took my Jeep and checked the windshield for any other problems, and ran water over it to ensure it wouldn’t leak, then sent me on my way – no charge.

Does this sound right? Is the top edge molding on the windshield not required for a 2009 Jeep Liberty? (It is a black vehicle; the mechanic mentioned something about the molding being used sometimes on different colored models.)

I looked at countless 2009 Jeep Liberty photos and it appears that the replacement guy was right about the strip not being technically necessary, but a good shop would have replaced it anyway. They’re supposed to make the car right, not just make it technically safe.

Your insurance company is responsible to make you “whole”, and in this case the strip should have been replaced. Since it’s a trim piece, a body shop might have been more appropriate than a glass replacement shop. Call your insurance company and file a complaint against the glass shop. They should not have simply sent you away. They should have referred you to a body shop if they didn’t want to replace the trim strip.

If you saw something blow off your windshied it may have been the rubber strip from the plastic cowl where it meets the base of the windshild.

I don’t believe any second generation Liberty/Dodge Nitro has a molding at the top of the windshield, there is just a gap between the glass and body. There is a urethane seal under the edge of the glass out of view to seal the glass to the body.

Most Dodge/Jeep trucks were designed without the upper windshield molding during the 2000’s. In the past that molding was often the source of wind noise when it comes loose.

The molding is only a gap filler. Auto glass places have universal gap filler, they can glue one down for you and you take the tape off it in 24 hours.

Thank you, everyone, for your feedback. Sounds like I have nothing to worry about.

A little more background: The windshield had been replaced by a body shop about 16 months ago. I would have had no insurance claim with this event as we expected the “repair” to cost much less than my deductible.

So it seems to me that I am “whole,” in that the body shop probably added the strip that wasn’t there originally. If that makes sense.

And life goes on! Thanks, again. It’s nice to see this site is active and functional!