Windshield Repair or Replace

I have a two month old 2012 Ford Escape which has a star shaped stone chip that is between the size of a quarter and a 50-cent piece. My insurance company gave me the option of a resin repair or replacing the windshield. Both the insurance rep and the glass repair technician suggested I try the resin repair first because they said that there could be issues with replacing the windshield, e.g., removing the old one might scratch the paint in the vicinity of the glass, breaking the factory seal, ensuring that the new windshield is glued properly in place to assure structural integrity and avoid leaks, etc. I tried the resin repair and although it worked structurally (the cracks of the star aren’t spreading), the star pattern is still very visible and refracts sunlight in certain conditions. Fortunately the chip is outside the field of vision and outside the windshield wiper pattern. The glass company & insurance company gave me the option of getting a new windshield if I didn’t like the repair. My question is: should I have the windshield replaced and run whatever risks there might be as a result of the replacement?

Yes, but ask around and pick a place with a good reputation who guarantees their work for as long as you own your car. Tell them you want the highest quality glass, you might not know the good brands but the fact that you know that there are differences will help. Don’t pick a place that gives you something for free. Also take it to their shop, they can do a better job and their boss is watching.

If you just want to be able to drive it, put some dark tape (inside) over the damage. The replacement risks aren’t bad, although thay make them sound like it. The only risk to me is damage the week after you replace it. If you have one of those plastic bug shields on the front of your car, remove it. Sometimes they kick rocks up and the rushing air slams them down on the glass. If there were no shield, the rocks will just roll over the glass without damaging anything. Every situation is different but there are times…

The epoxy windshield repairs are quite good and usually the divot disappears and is as strong as it was before. If they think they can fix one that large, I’d try that first without disturbing the windshield. Its a pretty common practice now but do it soon before dirt gets in it.

You need to get it fixed (or replaced). Leaving it alone could cause it to spread.

I’d just get it fixed. There are risks to replacing a windshield if done improperly.

You guys didn’t read the whole post, he tried the repair and it wasn’t satisfactory.

I’ve never had a glass shop scratch as car or harm it in any way during a replacement. The ins co just wants to get away as cheap as possible. The comment about quality glass above is true. A LOT of replacement glass is coming from mainland China these days. I have used some of it, and for the most part it’s OK. Once in a while though, I’ll see some abberations in viewing through the glass.

@Oldtimer11 , you must be a lawyer. Anything more than about three lines and I start skipping. Good catch. I agree, if the repair was tried and there is a vision issue, it must be replaced, period. I’ve had good luck with replacement windshields but did have one that leaked.

I had a two man team change the windshield on my car. Long story, but exploded on the fwy on a more than 100 degree day. I watched them as they did the work. I am a neat pick myself, but was impressed by their work. No scratches, no signs of the work done. Four years later and everything is fine.

A repair performed by a reputable company is perfectly acceptable. I have been involved in automotive service for over 25 years and have seen less than a handful of problem installations in that time. I have never seen an epoxy repair fail. If you should choose to replace the windshield, be prepared to pay your deductible, and insist to your insurance company that you want o.e. glass. Unless you are paying a discount premium, there is no reason to accept an inferior replacement product. A reputable glass replacement firm will stand behind the installation. Choose the company based upon talking to your service personnel and your salesperson. The last thing that they want is a hassle and a poor job, because they will hear about it, and their reputation is at stake. The old saying of telling 2 people when you are satisfied and 11 when you are not holds very true.

If they give you the option…replace it. The installation is critical and may be the one over riding factor that would sway to fixing if you did not have a competent installer. IMO, I would replace it.

Thanks all. I’ve decided to have the windshield replaced. Insurance will cover the cost and the replacement is to be an OEM windshield. I’m going to have it done at their shop as recommended.