Will this work?

I have a 1997 Grand Marquis that has a bent frame as a result of a front-end collision.

I can get a 1998 P71 Crown Victoria that the present owner managed to rip the roof off, otherwise, the car seems fine.

I want to take the body off of the Grand Marquis and put it on the Crown Vic frame. The thing that worries me is the year difference between them. Will the body fit?

I don’t know if it will fit or not, but I do know attempting this would be a huge waste of time unless you’re just bored and want to do it as an exercise in engineering.

Has a body shop told you it is not economically feasible to repair?

Why not have the body shop put a convertable top on the Crown Vic? It’d be much cheaper and easier.

It might be possible, but not likely since the Crown Vic underwent a body redesign for the 98 model year. You’d be better off getting a new vehicle.

Check here:


I’m pretty sure it’ll work just fine, I don’t think the Panther chassis has changed in quite a few years.

Go where Caddyman says. Some people there will have some ideas about this project.

I had it towed to a frame shop, they said it was bent beyond repair.

Funny thing, the car got hit hard enough to bend the frame, but the air bags never went off.

Well, it’s one of those things I’d like to try just to see if I could do it. I just don’t want to have to move body mounts on the frame.

Thanks, I’ll post there as soon as they approve my account.

Interesting idea, unfortunately the Crown Vic has other body damage that make it too expensive.

Well, I’d love to ask a number of questions on that forum, unfortunately, they denied my membership.