Why not greater availability of hybrid?

Improper battery disposal has been going on for years. The problem with batteries is in the future when more hybrids get on the road, the availability of Lithium which is mined in countries like Bolivia and Australia will diminish just like petroleum. When automakers decided to use gasoline to power engines over a century ago, petroleum was cheap and readily available, now over a century later we’re facing an energy crisis. Yes, batteries can be recycled but until its a requirement to recycle batteries, people just toss them out. A lot of companies now days do offer battery recycling and proper battery disposal programs. I always turn my old cellphones in so it can be properly disposed of or recycled. The other problem with electric cars such as the Chevy Volt and Nissan leaf is they’re not making their projected sales. Rechargable cars is a good concept, however, people are still using energy to keep them charged, which means there is not a huge reduction in greenhouse gases in the atmosphere. You can take several gas powered cars off the road with the assumption we’re doing good for the environment but to charge electric cars, we’ll require coal and petroleum to power the electric plants to charge the cars. So all we’re doing is transferring use of fossil fuel. Unless engineers can successfully produce a solar powered car? Or all these companies trying to build Solar panels and wind turbines can get their act together and be able to build enough wind turbines and solar panels to provide enough electricity. Engineers have been able to develop some hydrogen powered cars but those aren’t readily on the market and are still in the testing phase.

Yes, batteries can be recycled but until its a requirement to recycle batteries, people just toss them out.

Car batteries…yes…Hybrid batteries…Show me the data…

Unless engineers can successfully produce a solar powered car?

There are many other technologies that you’re missing…which are being engineered right now.

Fuel-cells for one…There have already been prototypes built and running. They run on Hydrogen (the most abundant element in the universe).

One company even has a solar power device that converts plain water into hydrogen and oxygen. The hydrogen is captured and stored in a tank. You then fill up your fuel cell vehicle at night and drive off.

Many of these new technologies are years away from production, but they are there.

And lets not forget creating diesel from coal. This technology is already there…and we have more then enough coal in the US to last several hundred years…if not thousands.

Gas prices are still low enough so the research money into many of newer technologies still isn’t there.

There’s Biodiesel too made from Algae. Gas prices won’t be so low for long. Especially with the problems we’re having with Iran. I sense another oil embargo in the near future. The problem with coal is it burns clean but the ash from the coal if not properly taken care of can leach into groundwater. Alot of the flyash from coal plants is used in drywall materials. There have been some concerns with hydrogen. Mainly concerning accidents, if say there was an accident and a hydrogen car impacts a gasoline car and on the rare occasion a fire can occur, if hydrogen is heated up too quickly it could cause an explosion…Remember Hindenburg? They’ve been using buses running on Fuel Cells in Canada for years now. The technology does exist, I don’t doubt that a bit. It’s just making it less expensive and marketable and more tests need to be done. The new “green” energy prospects could create thousands of new jobs for Americans. But what’s disappointing to me is how our country wastes money on importing fossil fuels and fighting wars to protect our interests over in the middle east rather than spend the money to develop and research new technologies so it could become more readily available in a decade rather than 30 or so years from now.

“So why aren’t more car company’s trying to take advantage of the weekend backpackers/outdoorsy types who also want to hep out the planet? If Ford can make a Hybrid Escape that gets roughly 20-25% better mpg than the gas model, why aren’t car companies adding this option to jeeps, subarus, pick ups etc.”

Weight. Battery packs and electric motors weigh a LOT, and this would directly impact the usable load of a cargo-carrying vehicle. This isn’t such a problem for vehicles that haul people exclusively, as people are fairly light (relative to the cu. ft. they take up).

This means that cargo vans, pickups, etc, are poor candidates for hybridization. Also, of those that DO get made, they will probably be of the “poseur-mobile” variety…“utilility” vehicles that haul people almost exclusively.

“There are lazy people out there who will dump car batteries and hybrid car batteries in a landfill which is hazardous to the environment.”

Given that (a) a Ni-MH battery pack weighs 200# in the Ford Escape hybrid, and (b) nickel currently goes for $8.50/lb, do you REALLY think mechanics (owners aren’t swapping these out) will forgo a $1000+ check from the junkman? If you don’t trust your fellows’ environmentalism, Katidid79, surely you can trust their simple basic greed?

katidid79, it has been discovered that the Hindenburg was made of very flammable materials, it was not the hydrogen which went up like it did.

Cars themselves have flamable materials in them…The stuffing inside the seats is highly flammable unless automanufacturers in recent years have used stuffing in the upholstery that isn’t flammable.

Great discussion ! As a driver of two SUVs, one truck based and the other car based, I can say I am not a hybrid fan in this type of car. I cannot imagine a hard working SUV hybrid under load would be as efficient as a diesel. Both would cost more then I’m willing to pay. The exception, would be a series hybrid with minimal battery power where the generator motor was utilized all of the time like a locomotive. Then, the efficiency robbing transmission ( though not by much) along with many drive train components could be eliminated, giving you a high torque, very low maintenance, longer lasting then a diesel work horse that may be only slightly more efficient but work on fuels other then petroleum based…but at this point, I dream !

For now, plug in hybrids for basic transportation as the batteries improve. Work vehicles will remain in the ICE domain, hopefully powered by natural gas and other flex fuels in the future as options.

Isn’t there a gas company around that powers their trucks using natural gas? I think its based in California…

There are MANY companies that do this.

Some are gas companies…Many City bus companies also run on Natural Gas or Propane.

The conversion has been around for over 30 years. Back when cars had carburetors…you could buy a conversion kit for about $1000.

BUT…Gasoline has very very high potential energy. NG or Propane while great for the environment…you’ll get less performance and less gas mileage…Close to 25% or MORE decrease in performance and gas mileage.

The upside besides polluting less…you can run much longer intervals between oil changes because of the very clean combustion of the engine. One company I heard of was getting 15-20k miles between oil changes…and when they changed the oil it was still nice and clean.

I wonder if some variation on ‘direct injection’ would improve methane powered engines’ output? Shove all the methane in there once the valves close so it doesn’t prevent the air from entering?

Most gas companies power their trucks with nat gas, as do many bus lines, city vehicles, and other fleet vehicles. For widespread consumer use, there are concerns about the dangers of an accident with a tank holding several thousand psi worth of natural gas, plus the availability of fueling stations.

I agree 100% with the others that diesel is such a clear answer for many of these types of vehicles. They’re clean (unlike yesterday’s diesels, which arguably caused today’s lingering stigma), efficient, and based on largely conventional technology. No batteries, no mining lithium, no disposal/recycling issues, no expensive replacements in 7-10 years, and the same (or in many cases better, i.e., highway driving) economy as hybrids. For SUV and towing applications (I do a lot of towing), diesels by nature provide terrific low end torque.

Last week I had an opportunity to take a ride in a Mercedes E Class Bluetec. I didn’t even realize I was riding in a diesel powered car until the driver made reference to his great gas mileage.

I’m glad diesel engines are becoming more quieter in operation. My Dad gave me a 1997 Ford F250 Powerstroke Diesel with the duel tanks and all and when I start that thing up, it registers on the richter scale. And it takes a while for it to warm up on those cold mornings. When I get a more regular job, I may invest in block heater for the truck lol.

I’m glad too, but that’s with respect to most other people. I’m in that minority of people who love old technology and old vehicles, and I like when trucks feel like trucks.