Who needs jack stands?

When in college I told friends about as a kid watching my mom “walk” the family car sideways from one side of the garage to the other to be able to back it out when the spring on one of the dual doors broke. Some years later when she taught me to drive she made a point of teaching me how to do that.

A few evenings later the group of us decided to take three carloads of us out to eat together. As a prank the guys in the group had boxed in my '73 Corolla (that didn’t have power steering!) front and back with about six to eight inches clearance at both ends. The bet was if I could get my car out without tapping the cars boxing in mine they’d pay for my dinner. I really enjoyed that free meal. :grin:

2 Likes

They used to sell those on JC Whitney. Whistle bomb or something like that.

I had a Morris Minor and parked next to a VW of that vintage, the VW was huge. No one ever did anything to it. Mostly because it never went very far except in my garage and I usually had to push it in.

In my early teens I would go through the J.C. Whitney catalogues cover to cover. You could get just about anything automotive related. Just about everything thing claimed to increase performance, fuel economy, and longevity.
Sintered bronze fuel and oil filters. Toilet pape oil filters. Wolf whistles for the exhaust. Even ‘blinky cat’ for your package shelf improved performance!

3 Likes

Used to be a foot. :wink:

1 Like

This is why people hate it when doctors say, “Open wide and say ahhh.”

I once knew a guy who was a RR engineer. To pick up his train it was a 45 min drive. Since his VW he tried everything Whitney sold. He used to say he had so many gas saving devices that he had to carry a Max gas can so at the halfway point he’d have to siphon out the gas he had saved to complete his commute. When he returned to drive home, he used the gas he saved to drive home.

2 Likes

Did he also have a garden at home if not he should have as he was good at spreading the fertilizer?

2 Likes

did he try to sell you a bridge? LOL

1 Like

Or ocean front property in Arizona. :laughing:

The thing is a lot of times when limbs break, you don’t hear a crack first. They just come down. No warning. I imagine the guy made it ok though by now.

What do you imagine he was repairing?

I swear, it still looks to me like he’s cutting the cat’s off. Maybe it’s just what I see due to my line of work.

Yeah I would say working on the cat. Starter I think is on the other side so not that. Needed a little more room to work on the studs. Saved $95 by not having a shop do it.

it will start crackling first. he’ll have a few seconds to get out from under the car. and it’s probably one of those strong oak trees instead of a balsa tree.

That’s just not safe. That guy should be wearing shoes. If he steps on a rock it’ll really hurt.

2 Likes

Not to mention hook worms.

I do a lot or bare footing, the little acorn shells from the critters that take the nut that stick to your feet are the worst because you have to spring them loose before you go into the house, gravel, no problem, I even like to make footprints in the snow.