Whistling noise when accelerating

toyota
rav4

We just purchased a used 2008 Rav4 with 47,000 miles and it is making a whistling noise when over 40mph. The noise gets louder the faster it goes but noise stops when foot is off the gas pedal. Took it to my guys to have a look see and they mentioned dirty trany fluid but the problem lies in the transmission/differential. Took it to Toyota (b/c we have a warranty) they could not find anything wrong and they stated this noise is normal. Should we take it in for a third party or just turn up the radio?

I can’t hear it from here, but it might be an exhaust leak.

I made an appointment for a tranny flush and to check for exhaust leaks. Thanks.

You might also want to check for a leak in the intake. You can use a short length of garden hose as a stethoscope to help you find the source of the noise.

I made an appointment for a tranny flush

You should think about that one. Look for a transmission fluid change with a clean filter. It is better for your car and likely cheaper. Far too many of the transmission flushes are done to just flush the owner’s wallet.

Did you ever find out what was causing this? We just bought a 2008 RAV4 (4WD) with almost the exact mileage (48,000) and are experiencing the same thing! The (non-Toyota) dealer told us it was the variable valve timing and that it’s a normal sound. But we test-drove similar RAV4s and didn’t hear the sound.