Which side to pump gas from

I would love to if your driveway was not so far away. :smiley_cat:

Would not be surprised if JC Whitney said Blinky the Cat would improve performance.
As to Garfield, yes I do have one in my truck.
In the 80s when the Garfields were everywhere, kids in LA were breaking windows just to grab Garfield. We had to go down to LA to the British Consulate on Wilshire Blvd. we were in there 20 minutes, came out, right rear side window gone, Garfield gone, nothing ease touched.
Garfield rear ends were sold to hang from your trunk or tailgate.

2 Likes

Never been in a Wawa. I don’t often go into the convenient stores anyways. But I do like Irving. Much better then Speedway. Although Speedway is now owned by 7-11. We’ll see if things change.

I live in NJ, where Wawa and Quick Check predominate (and where there are constant debates about which one is better
), yet my visits to any convenience stores are very infrequent, and that was true even prior to the pandemic.
At most, I might enter one of those places 2 or 3 times a year, and that is only to use their restroom.

I don’t understand the fascination that some folks have with these joints, but, as Pope Francis said in a different context, “Who am I to judge?”.

2 Likes

Cigarettes, Beer and Lottery. I don’t buy any of them.

2 Likes

That’s all the stores up here are good for. Wawa has decent food, reasonably priced. They have made to order hot food and a big selection of pre-made sandwiches that are actually good. Hot breakfast sandwiches ready to go in the morning. Large coffee selection. I never go inside Irvings or any other place up here unless I’m desperate. When I’m travelling down there it’s like a treat to go in a Wawa.

1 Like

I only go to WaWa if my usual station is out of non-ethanol gas, which is rare. The Wawa’s in my area tend to have panhandlers and ‘dealers’ hanging around.
We have many Cumberland farms, that’s my go to if I want coffee.
Neither, as I recall, have TopTier gas, that I get elsewhere.

+1
I guess that if I bought any of those items, then I might hang out in those joints, as so many seem to do.

To the best of my knowledge, none of the convenience store gas stations in my area sell Top Tier gas.
And, they are all more expensive than Costco, which does sell Top Tier gas.

Going to CostCo would make their gas more expensive in as much as the closest one is 40 miles away through heavy traffic, and several dollars in tolls. I’m fine buying my gas from the local Exxon convenience store.
I have a Sam’s close by, occasionally I do their customer survey and comment that I do not get gas there because it is not TopTier, but as with 99% of customer surveys, my comments are ignored.
I have an acquaintance that does drive 20 miles to get gas at BJ’s !

The Sams Club web site states that they stand behind their gas with a Satisfaction Guarantee . To have the Top Tier label requires a registration and membership fees which they choose not to do. Their pumps are always busy and I see no reason to worry about using their fuel .

1 Like

Most gas stations here have convenience stores. The one I use (Irving) switched to a Top Tier gas about 3 years ago. I don’t know of any gas station around here that doesn’t have a convenient store
top tier or not.

1 Like

Aside from going store to store accumulating new car brochures in October of each year my friends and I would play a game in who could find the most gas fills. Looking back at it now it appears to have been a thing for car makers to hide the gas fills from view. Behind the center license plate seemed to be the universal culmination of that obsession and a killjoy for us preteens.

While I can’t accurately quantify it, my estimate is that about 30% of the gas stations in my area have convenience stores.

We used to go to a nearby Wawa for subs before going to baseball games. Great Italian cold cut submarine sandwiches.

Thanks jtsanders. now I am hungry for a hero. lol

1 Like

I’ve sometimes wondered where the word “hero” in connection to. Sandwich came from. My guess is that it came from “gyro” sandwich, which is pronounced like hero.

I went to a Greek food stall at a mall food court several years ago and ordered a “heero” sandwich. The guy at the counter didn’t know what I wanted until I ordered a “gyro” sandwich. I got a good laugh out of that.

1 Like

I rented a house years ago from a guy who had his own gyro/greek store. he made the best gyro I ever had. he made his own cucumber sauce that tasted great with the gyro. thats saying something because I would always ask for it on the side and mostly would not use it.

[quote=“jtsanders, post:56, topic:177996”]
I went to a Greek food stall at a mall food court several years ago and ordered a “heero” sandwich. The guy at the counter didn’t know what I wanted until I ordered a “gyro” sandwich. I got a good laugh out of that.

It’s not as bad as it used to when I was still working people had a problem understanding my southern accent ({ that I don’t have it’s everyone else who have the accent’s }) and I had a problem understanding their accent as far as food names when I asked for grits or sweet tea they looked at me like I was crazy.

1 Like

Dont laugh but I dont think I ever ate grits. (damn yankee). is it basically like oatmeal but made with corn?

1 Like

Dont laugh but I dont think I ever ate grits. (damn yankee)

Close they are made from hominy and are a staple for a proper southern breakfast. You need to try them some time I understand a lot of grocery stores up north are selling them now hint don’t go for the instant ones though.

1 Like