Which car for a senior?

@KathrynK When test driving one thing about seats to consider; in many vehicles there is a noticable difference in relative seat comfort between trim levels with fabric seats versus those with leather/vinyl seats or if all use the same material there can still be differences in seat feel between trim levels. The difference is often more than the feel of the seat material but how soft or firm the seats are.

Additionally, some vehicle models have differences between trim levels as to how adjustable seat positions are, i.e. four-way versus six-way or eight-way adjustability. And, again, just how a seat is adjustable can make considerable difference in seat comfort.

Which version is more comfortable is subjective. So any vehicles that are on your short list are worth test driving the different trim levels to feel any difference in seat comfort regardless of the seat covering material and adjustability.

5 Likes

I have preferred fabric over leather, but will consider different trim levels, even those that have leather, in the future.

1 Like

For me, Nissan seats are probably the most comfortable I can find, and yes, the higher on trim level you go, the better they are.
If I could combine seat comfort of Nissan with bells&whistles of Honda and reliability of Toyota… I would snap it on the spot :slight_smile:

1 Like

This discussion, which has now gone on for over 100 comments (I’m throwing out my back and neck just reading all of this stuff!), about finding a comfortable car/car seats reminds me of an incident I observed at a local (in the north country) soft-serve “ice cream” place, the kind where you stand outside, read the overhead menu, and then order.

A dad had arrived with two young children who were delighted that they got to choose a treat from a laundry list of yummy deserts. They went back and forth discussing and debating the merits of the offerings as the dad became impatient with the lengthy process.

Finally, the dad said, “Just pick something! You’re not even going to have it that long!”

As I’ve said, I prefer to adapt to the vehicle, rather than buy a different car, in order to be more comfortable. But, if somebody perceives that is too much to ask, then just pick something. Better still, keep what you’ve got and adapt. Adapt your body and/or adapt the ride. Don’t buy a whole car!

Most chiropractors’ and/or medical supply places offer a wide array of different types and kinds of cushions, neck supports, lumbar devices, etcetera.

Thank You for your attention in this matter. You can thank me later. I’ll show myself out.
CSA
:palm_tree: :sunglasses: :palm_tree:

I had a car I had to trade since the seats were so bad they made my back to ache and eventually resulted in muscles cramping and making me to undergo physical therapy to control this condition.

I value my health more, so I ditched the car (2007 Impreza).

1 Like

I mean…with enough money, I’m sure it’s possible :wink:

Ah, the Hon-ota-san.
We had a yamasaki motorcycle when I was younger…

1 Like

Generally speaking, yes, but not necessarily for everyone. For example, I generally prefer softer, less bolstered seats with fairly straight backs. So after lots of test driving each of the three times I’ve bought a car I ended up getting a basic or mid-level trim car with fabric seats.

@common_sense_answer Given that the OP stated in her opening post that her vehicle was totaled in an accident, telling her to adapt her body to the car is ridiculous. And finding a car that best fits the needs of any buyer is a matter for that person to know what features are most important for them as critical deciding factors. For example, I eliminated some otherwise fine cars from my short list each time I bought a car because the shift lever and/or parking brake was quite painful for me to use, yet those aren’t something most people even notice one way or the other about a car.

Point is, the OP asked for information about car seats because it is a critical decision factor for her needs and multiple people have responded with applicable information and/or opinions often based on their particular experience that in some cases is informed by their own physical needs.

Feel free to do however much adapting you personally prefer but please understand that some of us far prefer to avoid dealing with more pain than we already are unable to remedy than to simply adapt to something that causes additional pain and therefore decreases quality of life.

5 Likes

Thank you for your two cents.
The fact that this topic has continued on demonstrates to me that it is relevant to many people. So enjoy whatever other areas interest you.

I’m very appreciative of all the comments from folks. After I posted, I had been test driving a number of small SUVs. (I was quite surprised to find the seat of the Toyota RAV very uncomfortable!) Then the COVID-19 pandemic hit. Since then I have followed science, being that I have several high risk factors, and have stayed at home. I only went out once in my sports car to fill up the tank when gas prices were ridiculously low. This is not the time for me to be out and about continuing my search process.

I will continue to follow this post and welcome all comments. In the meantime, another annual issue of “Consumer Reports“ devoted to cars has been published. I will read it and pay special attention to their reporting on reliability of used vehicles I’m considering. My plan is to buy a used vehicle to save from paying for high depreciation. But if I can benefit by some of the zero interest deals out since the pandemic (usually they’re reserved for new vehicles), I might consider a new vehicle. Nonetheless, it will be quite some time before I continue my search.

One thing of note during my search: I found that seats with the most comfort options are pretty much relegated to the higher trim packages. As that’s a priority for me, that’s what I’ll get.
Thank you again, everyone, for all your comments!

Thanks so much for your detailed observations. I’m short & have short limbs, so it will be interesting how the CR-V seats suit me.

Old Lincoln Town Car ( thru 97)
Toyota Avalon, any generation
Honda CRV 2012 or later

1 Like

@KathrynK, many public libraries have subscriptions to Consumer Reports on line. Mine does, and all I have to do is sign in with my member number, then take advantage of the on line resources.

2 Likes

I mentioned in an earlier post that I was looking for a car. I got a Buick Envision. My wife is 5 foot short. She says the car is very comfortable. She can reach the floor with her feet. But the height makes it a little tedious to get in. She also does not like the lack visibility when backing up.

1 Like

Look at the cars you like, then make sure the seats are height adjustable. Most problems solved.

2 Likes

Best of luck and good health,Kathryn. Please let us know the outcome!

1 Like

Thanks, that’s how I’ve been accessing “CR” for years. I believe it’s under EBSCO Master File (sp?) Premiere. Perhaps someone reading this will learn about it.

I plan to post results, but it’ll be awhile. Same to you & stay safe!

:rofl:
Love your visuals❣️

1 Like

Those visuals were . . . to a large degree . . . meant for a certain individual, one of our regulars

I’m not going to mention his screen name, because he might pat himself on the back, thinking he’s the center of attention and beloved by all. And then he’ll probably start to brag about himself again :frowning_face:

1 Like

My mom is 78 years young. I’ll share her medical issues also. She has CHF, AHF, diabetes, high blood pressure, macular degeneration and gout. She held a full time job up until the virus mess. She runs circles around me! She may not be the typical senior but I still wanted to share the things that she likes about her vehicle as a senior. Sorry if my comment upset you and your daughter. It’s just an opinion.