Which car for a senior?

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :joy: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
I want one of those bumper thingies. Why did they ever stop making steel bumpers?

Well, I’m probably not as old as you are, I’m just a youngster at 71. I’ve got age related problems, as I’ve already mentioned, I have that “degenerative back condition” you mention (actually, back and neck, diagnosed decades ago) and arthritis of one knee, and typical aging pain of hips. I’ve got my share of aches and pains and it takes me a couple of minutes to become completely mobile in the morning.

However, I am a firm subscriber to the belief that one must use it or lose it. As for pains, I tell myself to “suck it up, Sunshine!”). I do not use or take any medications. Years ago I lost any extra weight, turned vegetarian, and exercise. For example, I do 80 squats holding 15 lb. dumbbells, every other day, push-ups, sit-ups (120 of them, holding 10 lbs. to chest.) and assorted presses and curls, too. My wife does Aqua Aerobics and I sometimes go to yoga with her. I can do a kip-up getting up from the floor. I ride bicycles daily (15 to 35 miles) and play golf nearly every day (walking, no cart) with my wife and guys (some in their upper 70s and eighties). These people feel the same way and all agree that it makes us feel younger and although at times is painful, the benefits outweigh any discomfort.

What does your therapist do? Does she have you exercising? My daughter is 3 months short of completing a Doctor’s degree in P.T. and interns in clinics and she wishes more of her clients did what I do. She thinks I’m awesome, but I am her dad. :smirk:

I try and make no accommodations for myself. I drive whatever I drove before and do just about anything I’ve done before (I did stop carrying my golf clubs, choosing to push them and the 5Ks and 10Ks are often just too painful). I believe that backing off and giving in to aging will only serve to accelerate the process, but that’s just my opinion. It could become a slippery slope. When the going gets tough, the tough get going… just saying…
CSA
:palm_tree: :sunglasses: :palm_tree:

Spreading it on a bit thick AGAIN, are we . . . ?! :thinking:

5 Likes

Nope, just being truthful and offering an alternate opinion to shopping for a different car, trying to be helpful. This has worked so well for me that my wife has given up things she loved (like that unnecessary fat in the photo above) and is eating better and exercising much more, imitating what works for me. It is absolutely amazing how well it makes one feel… almost giddy.

I’m sorry if I’ve offended anybody!
CSA

You haven’t offended anybody

But those particular comments you make can be very tiring to read

I hope you can laugh at this . . . and at yourself

5 Likes

@KathrynK. I have you beat on age related problems. When I pick up my prescription at the pharmacy, the pharmacist asks for my date of birth. When I reply “12-21-41”, the pharmacist responds “That’s 1841 isn’t it?”.

1 Like

Do you thank him for subtracting 100 years from your age? :wink:

4 Likes

Or the quintessential senior car, a late 80’s Crown Vic or grand Marquis.

If you buy new why not just go with a 0% interest if offered?

Thanks; I believe these 2 were mentioned in the original letter I referenced.

Sorry, but I’ve got standards!! Yuck, definitely not my cup o tea…

Sounds good, except:
• have heard it’s really NOT 0% so am very wary (if you can explain, I’d like to understand)
• monthly expenses can’t be increased, hence, just want to take the savings hit

0% interest is just that, you may make minimal interest on a savings account so the interest is money in the bank while not taking a hit on the savings account. Sure you may have to drain the savings to make the payments but the money will remain there if needed at no cost, my take, waiting for other opinions.

My take
I stopped financing anything and making payments decades ago. Folks nearing retirement or in retirement shouldn’t have any debt. The earlier one can become debt free, the better. The small amount of interest one gets on savings, for the short time car payments would run, isn’t worth being in debt to anybody or any entity.

And if somebody has to drain nearly all their savings to buy a car then they probably can’t afford and shouldn’t be making the purchase in the first place.

This thinking has served me well.
CSA

1 Like

It’s not really 0% unless you have a VERY high FICO score. There are people who qualify for 0% financing, but the majority of buyers would probably not qualify.

My mom loves her KIA Soul with the ease of entry and exiting the vehicle being first on her list of pros.

1 Like

Okay, I’ll bite… I have to ask if “Mom” is a “senior,” because this discussion is about buying a car for a “senior”, which implies that being a senior automatically changes car choices somehow, which it doesn’t.

Lots of people, “seniors” and “youngsters” and others in between, love their KIA Souls I’m sure and some love the feature you had described. Personally, I would feel like I was driving a refrigerator if I owned one.

I would qualify as a “senior” and that feature is not even on my radar of preferences in car purchases. In fact, and this is important, I try very hard at not making things too cushy or easier. I bring this up because I feel it is an important part of this discussion. There are medically sound reasons for my beliefs and my physical therapist daughter agrees with my life style decisions.

CSA
:palm_tree: :sunglasses::palm_tree:

Hi @common_sense_answer I don’t think anyone is challenging your reasons, and we are happy for you and wish you continued good health. These questions asking about other seniors aren’t questioning the choices you make for your particular circumstances. Statistically speaking, stuff like musculoskeletal conditions start to happen as one’s age increases. You’re doing well; why don’t we offer assistance as we can for the people posting with the facts offered? :wink:

3 Likes

I certainly know about that! I’ve been going through that process for decades now, actually diagnosed decades ago. That’s just the point. By making accommodations that make things easier one can actually make things worse. I believe that by now I’d have trouble walking or even riding in a car if I had done that.

My comments are made as a public service announcement and to make folks reconsider “senior citizen” driven choices. My daughter recently sent a medical study indicating that the mind set one has while aging (thinking oneself is old) can be a major factor in the onset of dementia!

Granted, some older folks (and younger folks too) have disabilities that actually limit things they can do. Older folks should certainly have their doctor or physical therapist give them a green light to exert themselves or exercise, of course.

Tough love
At any rate, it is my sincere belief that becoming a “senior” should not automatically begin to limit one’s choices. In fact, I believe one should resist that thinking for their own well being.

CSA

For cryin’ out loud CSA, we get it!

4 Likes