When it rains, it pours: 2005 Ford Escape set 6 DTCs, with 10 pending

Today, after solving the intermittent stalling problem on this 2005 Ford Escape V6 with a new fuel pump, the code reader I ordered from eBay arrived, so I don’t have to go to the good folks at AutoZone. Bear in mind that this vehicle passed smog about a month ago when I bought it. Here is what the code reader spat out:

Set:
P0175 Engine Too Rich (Bank 2)
P0182 Engine Fuel Temperature Sensor circuit - Electrical fault
P0193 Engine Fuel Temperature Sensor circuit
P0301 Cylinder #1 Misfire
P0316 Engine Misfire Detected on Startup (First 1000 Revolutions)
P2196 O2 Sensor Signal Biased/Stuck Rich

Pending:
P0106 EGR Barometric Pressure Sensor Input Signal is out of Self-Test Range
P0172 System Too Rich - Bank No. 1
P0175 Engine Too Rich (Bank 2)
P0182 Engine Fuel Temperature Sensor circuit - Electrical fault
P0193 Engine Fuel Temperature Sensor circuit
P0300 Random Misfire Detected Code
P0301 Cylinder #1 Misfire
P0303 Cylinder #3 Misfire
P0316 Engine Misfire Detected on Startup (First 1000 Revolutions)
P2196 O2 Sensor Signal Biased/Stuck Rich

Some of the DTCs that were set were also pending. Not sure how that works. Anyway I wrote down the DTCs and cleared them and then drove around for a few miles, one at freeway speed, and checked again. This time the following were listed as pending:

P0106
P0172
P0182
P0193
P0301
P0316
P2196

In the course of troubleshooting the stalling problem I disconnected the neg terminal of the battery to clear the computer so it could relearn the idle speed. Then I realized that I could do that by unplugging the three plugs going to the PCM, which is how Ford designates the engine control computer. I used to do this all the time on my 87 Dakota and never had a problem. Now, however, I can’t imagine what could possibly be setting such a variety of DTCs except a buggy computer. Car-parts.com (national junkyard website) has several for sale under $100 that are the same designation as the one in the Escape, but before I buy one I thought I would present the problem here to see if anyone might be able to make sense of this behavior. The Escape seems to idle a bit rough, but otherwise runs like a top. No hesitation, great acceleration, drives smooth, lot’s of power.

Before I do anything else I am going to take out the new fuel pump driver module I just put in and replace it with the old to see if that might be the cause. If not, then replace the new fuel rail pressure sensor with the old one. If that does not solve this new problem I will relent and buy another PCM… oh drat! I just remembered… I think the key needs to be matched to the computer! Well… I’m sure I can find a work-around for that. I did it with a friend’s Regal. Anti-theft stuff. Measure the resistance across the resistor embedded in the key and pull the wires going to the ignition switch that read the embedded resistor and hardwire in a resistor of the same value as in the key. That solved his problem.

If your check engine light is not flashing, then all the DTCs are two trip DTCs. The first time the DTC is detected, it is stored as a pending DTC and the MIL is not lit. If it is not detected in the next drive cycle, it is erased. If it is detected on the next drive cycle, it is recorded as a regular DTC and turns on the MIL.

One fault, known as the root cause, can trip several DTCs. Excess fuel pressure could be the cause so step one is to go to an auto parts store that rents a fuel pressure gauge and measure your actual fuel pressure and compare it to the specs for your vehicle.

If the pressure is normal, turn off the engine and see if the pressure holds. If it does not, you probably have a leaking injector. Quick way to check that would be to pull the plugs and look at the tips for wet fuel or dry black powder. Start with cylinders 1 and 3.

3 Likes

Turned out the new fuel rail pressure sensor had a busted diaphragm and gas was being sucked into the intake. Swapped it out for the old one, cleared the old codes and drove it a few miles. No codes set or pending. whew! Time for a beer :slight_smile:

1 Like

Good to hear. I’m glad you didn’t run out and buy a new computer on a guess.