What's Up with Sears?

I used to buy everything from Sears many years ago. I truly don’t know the last time I ever stepped into a Sears store. Same goes for K-Mart. Sad…but they did it to themselves.

Ive seen Sears craftsman tools for sale in hardware stores as well as Costco. Honestly, as much of a bummer it is that theyre not made in USA anymore, I dont mind their tools. I needed a set of wrenches and didn’t want to spend a ton. I looked at Harbor Freight, who also has a lifetime no questions asked warranty on their hand tools and they really weren’t too much cheaper than the craftsman, and were missing a few sizes. I ended up getting a set from Sears that included most SAE and Metric sizes for about $70 I think. I think I’ll have them for a long time to come. Don’t fully discredit craftsman tools, theyre still a good value. I know some swear by snap on or whoever else but where else can you buy a set of reliable, comfortable hand tools for the price and have the ease of the return and swap if you break it? Its not that easy with Husky or Kobalt. I’ve also had to buy some random sockets, or extensions from Auto zone, I think duralast brand and have been happy with those. Of course most of the tools there are complete garbage. But you get what you pay for like anything else.

I agree that craftsman tools are easy to warranty

But I don’t agree that they’re comfortable to use

Speaking of Sears . . . I think one of the big problems is the selection, particularly the clothing. It’s okay to be poor, but your clothing doesn’t necessarily need to reflect that.

Sears isn’t the place to buy things like this. They’re just buying and reselling from someone else, just like Amazon or many other online e-tailers.

I looked, my price as a shop buying wholesale from a local supplier for a 2-door is $32 for a regulator or $62 for a regulator with motor. Obviously it would be wiser to use the $62 part.

I’m not sure what the price from the Honda dealer would be, but shouldn’t be much more than the aftermarket. Sometimes they’re even less.

I think your original link from the Buick dealer just means that XYZinc owns multiple dealers of varying car lines. That’s the case around here. Their parts sales are all networked. The guy at the Cadillac dealer can punch in the VIN for an Audi or a Chrysler or a Toyota and look up and sell me parts. They probably bought a truckload of parts at a discount and are now selling them off.

Last thing I bought at Sears was a pair of slippers. Today, specialty electronics stores are the place to shop for any electrocnic stuff. For clothes, The Wearhouse, for appliances, other specialty places, for furniture specialty places as well.

We passed through Aeu Claire, Wisconsin a few years back on vacation. My wife wanted to buy some summer clothes at the local Sears, and found the styles out of date. Even the medical uniforms were of a dated design.

@Docnick–Sears clothing never really did seem to be stylish. Before I was married, I bought my clothes at Sears. My wife informed me that everything I owned was Sear Sucker–clothing Sears Roebuck sold to a sucker.
Sears really could be a great store today if they had done several things:

1. Had high standards in the service area. If a person knew that a major appliance purchased from Sears or a mower, etc. would be serviced properly and parts would be available for the reasonable life expectancy of the purchase, However, Sears, at least in my area, let the quality of this department slip. Even back in the 1950s, I went to an independent mower shop to get parts for the LawnBoy my parents owned. There was a big sign that read “We do not service Sears equipment”. When I asked the proprietor, he said that Sears equipment was well-made, but it was difficult to get parts through them and the parts weren’t cross-listed with other manufacturers. He said that he had all the work he needed, so he didn’t need this headache.

2. Had Sears kept the catalog and then gone on-line, they probably would have had a good thing going.

3. Sears really blew it in the auto servicing when a couple of states attorney generals successfully prosecuted them for making unneeded repairs. We had a janitor in our building who was a very good mechanic. He went to work for Sears part-time, but quit in disgust after a month. He was told to rush through jobs and to find anything wrong he could with the cars.

4. Treatment of employees. Our son sold hardware for Sears while he was finishing his thesis for his seminary degree. He was never given enough hours to have benefits. He was a top-flight salesman, but wasted no time in leaving Sears when he completed his degree.

In my community, we have no independent appliance dealers. Major appliances are sold through big box stores and these stores contract out the service. Had Sears really offered great service on what they sold, I think Sears would be in an enviable position today.

I have to agree. 75% of the store is low quality dry goods and clothing. Makes no sense, especially when located in an upscale mall. I have said for a long time they should simply drop the private label stuff for appliances, yard equipment etc. Why would anyone buy a Craftsman mower when you have to try and buy Craftsman parts then, or cross reference to the actual manufacturer? They would do better just reselling and servicing the major brands instead. I agree they missed the boat when they cut the catalog out. They had small catalog sales offices everywhere with next day delivery. With the internet you would have been able to order it on line and pick it up locally the next day. Instead they kept their huge unproductive stores and opened the door for Amazon and Walmart.

The last item I bought was a pull behind de-thatcher. It happended to be in stock and at the right price and I wanted to pick it up. Same as and made by Agri-fab just a different color. However, I don’t exagerate that it took 15 minutes to check out using my debit card and I was the only guy there. He had to plug my address in, email, and 20 other marketing questions. Then I get bombarded with emails after that. No thanks. Just check me out and leave me alone.

wow, that`s just crazy. I can get a new electric window regulator with the motor for my 1993 car for $43 on E-Bay.
$53 for a hand operated regulator is just insane and shameful price gouging.

@Bing–Our son told me when he worked at Sears that the employees were told to push Sears charge cards.
I was in a Target store several years ago and told that I could have a discount on my purchase if I took out a Target charge card. When I applied, I was asked for my Social Security Number. I tore up the form and turned down the discount. In light of what happened with the hackers getting into the data at Target, I’m glad I didn’t get a Target card.
The last item I purchased at Sears was some universal part for my mower that was about $5. I had the cash, but the store employee pushed me for all kinds of information. I simply said, I have some money and you have something I need. I’ll trade the money for the item. Let’s cut out the questions. I’m not giving you my personal information and I don’t want your personal information.

http://www.rockauto.com

Drill down to your part (it won’t let me link directly). $25.

I think theres a generational difference here. I dont get offended by all the questions because Ive worked similar retail jobs and in every one of them youre forced to ask the contact info. Your boss keeps tabs on these things. I’ve had to get the dirty looks and the attitudes even though I was just doing my job. What you need is a “junk” email account to give out in those situations. Although I totally agree with not giving the social security number. I never apply for additional cards. Really, the most annoying thing about retail checkout lines is that the companies all use these computer systems that are simple enough for the computer that they rarely crash, but are very non user-friendly. Then you get about 2 days training and are pushed out into the job and dont remember what codes to enter to do a simple return, or pay half cash half card, or make a down payment etc. It takes time to really learn these systems that look like the days of MS-DOS, just a black background and text. You end up stressed and frustrated, as does the customer. And these jobs are always high turnover so its usually a fresh body there trying their best. Been there done that. Sorry for a bit of an off topic rant there. My point is I dont get attitudes with them. They want to get you out on your way just as fast, but also need to not get fired. All retail is pretty similar. Horrible.

“the employees were told to push Sears charge cards”

Yup

Every time I ago to Sears, they do that

The first question . . . are you going to use your Sears card

The second question . . . would you like to apply for a Sears card

“I totally agree with not giving the social security number”

Every time somebody asks me that on the phone, or in a store, my response is “No. Ask me another question.” It’s always worked for me. They usually ask for my birthdate or my mom’s maiden name, or some such thing.

That’s because their financial services division has taken over as their “profit-monkey”. That’s been part of their downfall. Businesses that shift their focus from their product to their financing division usually suffer in the long run.

They usually ask for my birthdate or my mom’s maiden name, or some such thing.

When I pick up my prescription at the CVS store, they ask me for my birthdate. That is o.k. as long as Mrs. Triedaq is not with me. I just reply 12-21-41. If Mrs. Triedaq is along, she then says, “That’s 1841”.

One of my pet peeves is when someone calls me and asks me to confirm my identity by giving them my SSN. My response is, “Sorry, I don’t give anyone my social security number unless I initiated the call. You called me, so I have no idea whether you are who you say you are.”

@‌Triedaq

“I just reply 12-21-41. If Mrs. Triedaq is along, she then says, “That’s 1841”.”

blue or gray?

You opened yourself up for it . . .

I usually say “if this was a legitimate call you’d already have that information. You should get yourself out of that boiler room and get a real job”. One guy recently got irate and said “I want you to know that 'm going to call you every single day for the rest of your life”. I hope he does. I don’t answer my landline phone anyway. I use the answering machine. All my important callers have my cellphone number.

The store cards are credit cards. They need your SSN. I always turn them down. Having any store card actually reflects poorly on your credit history. You get a $25 discount one time, then your mortgage rate is higher by 1% for 30 years, not worth it.

One thing that grates on me about many businesses now is that you simply can’t hand someone cash or use a card and be done with it.

They always ask if you want to make a donation to save/feed/sponsor some group or cause. My response is why should I donate a few bucks to help keep some charity head in a new Benz and first class airfares… :frowning:

@ok4450 you can always say no, Some places do seem to have charity drives all the time but where I work they try to keep them to a minimum other than such as right after a natural disaster (Mudslide in Oso WA for example) I just politely decline and move on.