What's a fair price for a replacement key?

try calling Rumi’s garage - 978-575-0338…he is as honest as they get and specializes in Saabs…

I was going to buy one of those Swedish cars, but I’ve heard one too many sob stories now.

Thank you very much.

I think the general rule here is, get an additional key for your car ASAP. I heard about this on my Escape, too, that if you buy a replacement key and you only have one key left, you have to go to the dealer. Reprogramming at the dealer cost hundreds. So I decided I wasn’t going to get in that predicament, and bought a new key and a new alarm for about $25 on (wait for it) eBay, and had the key cut ($1). Did the fob programming myself, because I had 2 working keys. That’s the important part; I had to have two working keys.

Anyone who buys a car needs to get an extra set of keys. I don’t care what brand it is, or where it’s made. Get onto eBay and get your duplicate.

A Saab partsman (with the VIN number) should be able to pull the remotes frequency code number or a Saab part number.Then go to EBAY ,search EBAY Motors,Parts and accessories ,using the part or frequecy number.Usually less than $45.00.Good Luck,RayC

Features like this save owners thousands in auto insurance. Compare rates for a 9-3 and a BMW 3 series of this era. The Saab has one of the best immobilizers in the industry which incorporates a gear shift lock. Cars that don’t incorporate theft prevention are the ones that get stolen. Something with an anti-theft system as esoteric as the Saab’s hardly ever get stolen. Which would you rather loose, your key or your car?

We are getting two stories here, which is correct? Either you have to pay $2000 to a dealer and replace all the computers, or you can get it done for $50 via ebay. Has anyone had experience with the latter, when you have only one key? when you have no keys?

(unclear if the original poster has zero or one keys)

Which would you rather loose, your key or your car?

It appears that in this case, it doesn’t matter which one you lose. The cost of replacing the key could exceed the value of the car.

It seems to me that this goes past the point of being useful. If a pro wants your car, they will just winch it up on a flatbed and break into it at their leisure back in their “shop”. The vast majority of amatuer thefts can be discouraged by much less expensive means. Heck, I’d even buy into Lojack before I accepted this kind of set up if I was that paranoid about someone stealing my car.

The consistent answer you’re hearing is that if you have a sufficient number of original keys on hand, it’s cheap to get a replacement; if you don’t have a sufficient number of keys on hand, it’s expensive.

With TWO keys on hand, it was $25 for my Escape, but with 1 or fewer, it would have been $200 per key. eBay is a good source because wrecking yards have figured out that keys are a good thing to stockpile, and then sell on eBay. So that innocent little “worthless” Ford fob of mine? Not at all worthless. People want 'em.

Go to a Saab wrecking yard, and you’ll find you can buy alarm fobs. I don’t think that was the case 20 years ago.

As an aside, the “used” fob I bought to have on hand for my Maxima was in better condition than either of the two I already owned. I think I paid $8 for the Nissan fob I bought. Would have been closer to $100 from the dealer.

This was submitted as a Saab question, but these answers are pretty much universal.

Wow, I don’t feel so bad to find out that a duplicate key for my 2004 Aveo costs $140. I just bought this car and I didn’t know it had an alarm or a passive theft-deterrant system until today. I thought I should have a second key because I’ve had kill switches before and I know how these little transponders can break or die. Well, I think I’m going to wait until the key starts causing problems before I get a second key. I could end up losing the first one anyway and have to buy one later.

If you still have a remaining key on this specific 2000 or 2001 Saab, we charge 100.00 to make a working replacement, without the remote.

2002 and up will require the OEM key, at this time.

Aftermarket transponder keys are ALWAYS being introduced and improved for more model coverage.

Each make and model will not have the same parts or protocols, so do not assume that a Ford Focus will cost as much to replace keys as a Lexus.

Locksmiths are the way to go.

Skip buying keys online. Buying, having them cut and programmed will almost ALWAYS cost more at the dealer or on-line.

Back to the SAAB. If all keys are gone, the job is more expensive, but not 2000.00.

The T.W.I.C.E. module which is the interface for security and other functions can be supplied and programmed to match the ECU by locksmith, and new keys programmed in. The old one will be sent in as a CORE for reflashing.

It will not be 100 buckaroos, but you might recoup a percentage of the bill on your auto insurance, under the “Roadside Assistance” coverage.

IF you want the remote, we order one wholesale, and program into car.

Not all locksmiths do this make and model, so if your locksmith does NOT, he/she should have a go-to guy to refer you to.

Currently, most makes and models of cars do NOT require such a complicated replacement issue.

We cut keys and program, even on all keys lost on the following:

Acura
Audi
Chrysler
Dodge
Honda
Hyundai
Isuzu
Jeep
Kia
Lexus ( cracked remote head 3 button keys can be RENEWED, saving hundreds)
Mazda
Nissan
Opel
Pontiac
Saab
Toyota ( cracked remote head 3 button keys can be RENEWED, saving hundreds)
Volkswagen

ADDITIONAL NOTES AND INFO on Transponder / LASER keys…

1. There are a few brands that CAN be serviced, but I feel the process is best for car lots, and not for car OWNERS…

A.BMW
B.Rover
C. Mini

The procedure on these requires all new keys. Existing keys can NOT be retained at this time.

1. TOYOTA / Lexus

These have an immobilizer system that when all keys lost, USED to require a new computer. This was overcome a numbero of years ago, and dealers as well as service books will erroneously indicate a new computer is needed. TOY/LEX immobilizer systems can be reset via the obd port by your locksmith, on all the models using the 32Bit computer. This is roughly 65% of the product output. The remaining 35% require removing the ECU, and connecting a chip reflash device to RESET the chip.

There is no need at all to buy a NEW computer, if the old one is workign correctly, other than having no keys.

1. CHRYSLER, DODGE JEEP. A new “cloneable” key is being released in the next few months, that allows for making an electronic copy of the original key, without requiring programming through the cars computer.

Cloneable keys are faster n easier, but not necessarily as good as individually programmed in keys.

SOME cloneable keys introduced in last 2 years have a battery in them. Should the battery or the contacts fail, the key stops working. These are branded as ILCO, HYKO, JMA or Bianchi. Some were recently recalled.

Any cloneable key with a T2 or T5 after the part number, is non-volatile, and should perform very well.

These can be used as a cloen of another key, or have original data written to them, so they can be programmed in as a unique original key.

If you have such a T2 or T5 key, rest assured, you should be fine.

If you have a HONDA that requires a RED key to program:
A. Do not use the RED key as a key to drive with, it is only for programming
B. If you LOSE the RED key, the regular key CAN be cloned, eliminating the need for RED key. this will save you HUNDREDS.
C. if you lose RED key, and ALL user keys, a module will need to be reset or replaced, and new keys programmed in.

Some Scooters and Motorcycles have the RED KEY system, inclising Ducati. The black keys can be CLONED, saving you HUNDREDS.

BEFORE losing keys, get your KEY CODE NUMBER and when applicable, the PIN number for scan tool programming. Some cars have a valuable pin, some remains for life of car. Because most mfr will not supply key code, you will save money when you call a locksmith, with all the info to make the job faster and easier.

By the way… those “Laser Cut” keys involve no lasers… we cut them on a CNC Mill.

City Lock is located in Boulder Colorado email jeff@citylockusa.com