What would you do if the price of the Gasoline went up while you were waiting?

Click on the gas pump (or any department icon) to see store hours and fuel prices.
Select “Store details” to open each department to see hours of operation. For the store below, the gas pumps open at 6:00 AM.

Well Danged if I know where I was but there is a Menominee falls by Milwaukee, a Menominee up north of Green Bay by Michigan and a Menominie by Wausau. I’m sure I was talking about the one north of Green Bay by the lake where a relative was mayor. Been a while but I remember all the boats. We used to take almost annual trips to door county where my folks were during the war and my sister was born. I suppose mail gets screwed up all the time. Guess where the names come from, like mini haha.

We spent many summers camping in the Menominee Reservation north of Keshena when I was a kid. Speaking of confusion, it’s funny to hear people unfamiliar with the area try and pronounce some of the town names. I recall quite some time ago, a politician was visiting and the national news got involved. You should have heard them trying to pronounce Oconomowoc and Waukesha…

Oh, don’t I know how hard it is to pronounce the names properly…

I grew up in Up State New York and many of the names come from the Dutch, the Germans, and the Native Americans and even living there was verbally entertaining as non-locals butchered the pronunciations… And many of the creeks and streams still carry the Dutch work “Kill.” For instance, the Krum Kill flowed through our property and the creek was about 8’ wide and about 1’ deep and we just referred to it as the “Krum”

I have relatives and friends that still live in 6 of the following towns and cities in New York State and I had to look up the proper spelling of some of them as I can only say about half of them correctly.

Oneonta, Corfu, Taughannock, Poughkeepsie, Cattaraugus, Schenectady, Irondequoit, Schoharie, and Oswegatchie.

Since we are off the path a little, walking the path of spirits as they would say up north, one of my favorite stories is the curse of chief cornstalk on West Virginia and Ohio. When the silver bridge collapsed between Ohio and West Virginia, some claim they had seen the moth man on top of the bridge, stemming from the curse.

I don’t believe it but from my exposure, these people seem to have a deep belief in spirituality and respect for such.

1 Like

Minnehaha Park is a city park in Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States, and home to Minnehaha Falls and the lower reaches of Minnehaha Creek

In the 60s we could walk up behind the fall, haven’t been there for 30+ years. You can follow the Creek ( creek, crick, or stream depending where you live) Dow to where it empties into the Mississippi River.
Was a place, as teenagers, would go to “park”.

1 Like

Yes but the name is from the Dakota tribe language meaning falling waters. In Minnesota, Wisconsin, and South Dakota, you can’t hardly drive 30 miles without running into a name based on the tribes.

Then there is the town sleepy eye in western minnesota, named after chief sleepy eye who had some type of eye lid malidy.

1 Like

Finally in the ditch. I flagged you, this is WAY off course. I can think of no good reason to bring it up. We destroyed a society, and you’re going on about a raid?

Don’t forget about Minniehaha Parkway. Park land. How long is Minnehaha Parkway?

At Lake Nokomis the creek passes under the parkway to Lake Hiawatha. From Lake Hiawatha the creek meanders between East 46th Street and Minnehaha Parkway to Longfellow Garden and Minnehaha Park. The parkway is 5.3 miles long and comprises roughly 235 acres.Jul 3, 2019

I would have said ten miles off hand. Nice golf course and ice cream shop though.

My dad used to ride his bike from 10th Ave South I think to the golf course carrying his clubs. Was a state am champion one year! Probably late 1930’s!