What should I replace my 1998 Honda Civic Ex with?

I also had a RAV 4 Sport (the year before they made it longer). Looking for a certified pre-owned that’s reliable and fuel-efficient (not too big but also sometimes fits 2 boosters and a car seat). I like the fact that my Honda doesn’t draw attention in either good or bad neighborhoods. Another Civic?: the newer Civics aren’t as well rated by Consumer Reports. Acura?

An Acura is likely to get more attention than a Civic. The current Civic did not get great reviews, but Honda is addressing issues with the newest Civic’s. So if you buy brand new, you’ll have the latest and greatest.

The Civic really didn’t decline, the competition simply caught up and even surpassed the Civic in some areas. Those areas are things like interior finishes, and electronic gagetry. In terms of mechanicals and reliability Civic still leads IMO.

Look at and test drive all the competitors and see what you think of them and the Civic. If you want good resale value and intend to keep the car for a lot of years (8-10) I believe the Civic still holds up best over time.

Since you like your Civic a new(er) one would be a great choice.

Thank you UncleTurbo & Texases. I think I’m going for a certified pre-owned. I’d consider a RAV4. I’ve always loved Acuras (wanted a Legend when I purchased the Civic) but the MDX is not fuel efficient and I don’t know what make be approximately the same size size as the Civic?

Acura’s coming out with a compact based on the Civic, call the ILX. Here’s an article on it:

But test drive a new Civic EX first, you might be favorably surprised.

I’m excited about the ILX. Thx for the article. Just discovered it at the same time on Consumer Reports (only received the bad news about my Civic’s estimated repairs this am). My daddy had an Integra. My biggest hesitation is to purchase something Consumer Reports hasn’t rated yet. Any thoughts on that?

I wouldn’t give reliability of the ILX a second thought, because it’s based on existing equipement.

Personally, I like the styling of the 6th generation Civic you have much better than the new ones. I probably wouldn’t buy another Civic. I would rather buy a Fit or a Yaris, or maybe consider Hyundai’s and Kia’s small economy cars.

You want something small, yet able to fit 3 car seats? Check out a Mazda 5.

Cars that are in the CPO category will command higher prices. Used car prices are already close to that of a new car as it is.

Thx! You’re right, I’ve been pricing 2010 (Best Consumer Reports Rating) Honda Civics and they’re at the base MSRP for a new one. C.R. rates the Mazda CX-5 well for fuel economy but not great for acceleration and ride. I like the styling of the older Civics better as well.

I meant the Mazda 5, not Cx-5. It’s like a minivan, but not a minivan.

Also, ride and acceleration are generally personal preferences. A person who normally drives a Vette will think a Corolla is slow, and someone who grew up driving nothing but Corolla and similar sized vehicles would find it quick. Same with ride comfort.

3 kids in the back seat can be problematic. If you only rarely do it, it won’t be a big deal. I can only go by my experience, and I was happy when we got the minivan and could separate them. I am not suggesting that you get a minivan, just pointing out that it has it’s place.

The ILX is about $26,000. How much can you spend? With used cars selling better than ever, popular car brands like Toyota and Honda have used car prices close to new car prices. And with a new car, you know exactly how the first owner cared for the car. That’s almost always difficult to know with a used car.

In addition to the ILX (which will be as reliable as the Civic it’s based on,) Acura also makes the RDX, roughly the size of the CR-X and RAV4, smaller than the MDX and more efficient. It has had a very good reliability record in the past though the older model had a turbocharged four and its gas mileage could have been better. However, it has just been redesigned and the new one has a simpler, more powerul V-6 and is more economical, also. I expect it to be reliable enough as it’s mechanically straightforward. Acura has also made a very nice station wagon version of the mid-sized TSX for a couple of years. It’s only available with a four and automatic, so won’t be terribly quick, but it’s gas mileage is good for a practical family car. Your Acura dealer is a pretty good place to shop for a family car right now.

I’ve always loved Acuras. Its between spending in the mid-twenties for an Acura or a little over $15,000 for a Civic. (I’ve decided that although I liked my previous RAV4 Sport the models are bigger these days and the way the back door opens to one side makes an Acura in the same price range more appealing.) It seems the 2010 Civics, followed by the 2011’s, are better rated than the new ones. So a certified pre-owned for close to the price of a new one might make sense? Or is it really better just to be the first owner?

I’d suggest getting a Consumer Reports New Car Buyer’s Guide at the local bookstore, perusing the available options, and test driving the ones you like. Car choices are highly, highly subjective things.

How about the new CR-V?

So a certified pre-owned for close to the price of a new one might make sense? Or is it really better just to be the first owner?

Depends on who is doing the certification; the dealership or the factory/maker. CPO is really just an excuse to drive the price fo the car up to get more profit out of it.

Also, to put this into perspective:
Would you buy a lawn mower off a someone who owned it for 2 years but you aren’t sure if they sharpened the blades or changed the oil or anything like that for $150~175 or buy a brand new one for $200?

Take a look at the Ford Focus S. It starts at $16,500 and has bested the Civic at least once is a comparison drive (Car and Driver). Ford has excellent reliability these days and an excellent small car in the Focus.

I’m leaning toward purchasing a certified pre-owned 2010 Honda Civic EX from a dealer but bscar2, your comment gives me pause. I am looking at the condition of the car and the carfax. (The one I drove didn’t look like it was serviced (oil change) between 9,000 mi and the 15, 700 its at which also gives me pause.) Besides comparing price/mileage are there other things I should watch out for?

The car itself is probably 3 years old, so brake and tire wear would be something to check as well.
Do the tires match? At 15k miles, they should all be the same tires and tread depth. Go to Tirerack.com and look at the different tires for the Civic and factor that cost into the CPO car here shortly.
Price an oil change and transmission fluid change, too.