What should I replace my 1998 Honda Civic Ex with?

@ReliableR, just make sure you don’t put that much stock in the “certified” part. You will still need to get the car inspected by your mechanic. “Certified” is little more than a marketing term. Don’t let the salesperson talk you out of that pre-purchase inspection from your mechanic.

texases
May 29
I wouldn’t give reliability of the ILX a second thought, because it’s based on existing equipement.

@texases -

And that’s one of the sad things I’ve seen in CR. Countless times I’ve seen them refuse to predict reliability on a vehicle because it is “too new” when that vehicle contains well-tested components. They’ll ignore the fact that the chassis has been used before, the powertrain has been applied to a different vehicle, etc… all giving them good ideas… But then they’ll go ahead and predict the reliability for a vehicle that hasn’t been altered stylistically but has received new untested components.

If you are looking at a 2010 CPO Civic, you might do better looking at a brand new one. Price would be close and less hassle to buy. Just check the price on truecar.com and edmunds.com and ask dealers to e-mail you quotes. Have them bid for your money.

Yep, Whitey,Daughter got a certified 08 civic a few months ago and one day ,was looking it over,Noticed 2 symetrical holes in the back pillars or door frame,looks like it was on a chassis rack,have to take this up with the salesman.Take every thing with a grain og salt. Shoot,OP-go buy anything new you like(test drive of course- be sweet if you could take it home for a week)-KEVIN

I ended up purchasing the only EX (2010 Honda Civic) in the entire area. The dealership, after explaining that the 7 year 100,000 mi. warranty was from the date of the original purchase of the car (meaning whoever bought it in April 2010) (i.e. I have 4 years 10 months left on the powertrain) and bumper to bumper for 12 months/12,000 is trying to sell me bumper to bumper for $1533 for 84 months/100,000. I declined because I have a mechanic a few doors down from my house (rather than going all the way to the dealer) and things like the catalytic converter aren’t covered. I have another 24 hours to take up their “certified wrap”- should I take it?

If the “certified wrap” is the extended warranty, I would not buy it. The reason you want a reliable car like the Civic is so you won’t need coverage like this. Since the car passed your mechanic’s thorough inspection, I don’t think you have anything to fear.

I’d be willing to bet the purchase price of your car that it is NOT the only EX in the entire area.

I would say the catalytic converter is probaly included in some kind of little disclosed emissions warranty anyway-please dont buy any of that extended warranty stuff-Kevin

You really need to check out the Mazda 5, it’s a good fit for your purposes.