What make and models are similar to handling and power of saabs?

I, too, have driven Saabs for a long time in Maine and love their handling, especially in winter driving conditions thanks in part to the front wheel drive. Friends have driven other Euro imports with RWD and found them lacking in the winter. People really do either love Saabs or don’t get their appeal at all.

Quote from mefla: “I, too, have driven Saabs for a long time in Maine and love their handling, especially in winter driving conditions thanks in part to the front wheel drive. Friends have driven other Euro imports with RWD and found them lacking in the winter. People really do either love Saabs or don’t get their appeal at all.” Unquote

Saab certainly has no monopoly on good winter road traction. Any front driver with tires other than the low rolling resistance type have been very good for us in wintertime and we do live in a Midwest northern tier state; have owned Chrysler, GM and Ford front drivers.

After owning and driving nothing but rear drivers since Hector was a pup, we got our first front driver in 1978. When we drove it for the first time in a snowstorm, the starting traction over what a rear driver presented was unbelievably effective. We thought: “What a wonderful car this is.” It was a Plymouth Horizon.

Bottom Line: The OP needs to try another car brand of the front drive persuasion. He may want winter tires too although we have never used them and have done very well meaning that we have never gotten stuck in the snow to need a tow. Any small or midsize car now has decent acceleration.

I had two SAABs when they were doing a lot of “firsts” or at least “no other” things. They were one of the pioneers of mass production of fwd cars and “two strokes”… Better forgotten. But, they were built like tanks and were innovative in putting the ignition switch in the console so it could collect with dirt.

The were especially good at merchandizing and putting their name on GMC, Subaru and ANYOTHER car that get them a sale. For the passed gazillion years they have manage to make believe they are different but are really the same as just about ANYOTHER fwd sedan. That’s why the could not sell…why buy a car you can get anywhere else with your best model being made by Subaru…why not buy a Subaru ?