Mercedes Vs. Saab

I’m about to buy a new car. Which would you choose - a 2007 Mercedes CLK350 coupe (brand new) or a 2008 Saab 9-3 sedan? The MB dealer has a 2007 left over that they’re “making me a deal” on. I’ve been driving a Saab that needs to be replaced. Need some opinions…which would you buy?

Which do you like the best? If you’re seriously considering these cars two I will assume you are not interested in quibbling over how many pennies per mile they cost or which one consumer reports things might cost an extra $1000 per year, so it really just comes down to which one you enjoy driving the most. Take them both on an extended test drive and write a check for the one that makes you smile the most.

It’s six of one; half dozen of the other IMHO.
The thing about the Mercedes that would bother me is why in the world is an '07 model still lounging on the lot in May of '08?
Usually heaven and earth will be moved to prevent a vehicle from becoming what is called a “lot lizard”.

Is that Mercedes brand new (as in 4 or 5 miles on it) or does it have several hundred miles or more?
If the latter, there may be some concern about the vehicle possibly being damaged due to use as a dealer demo and it could have been sitting for months awaiting a repair.

It’s all about what you want and are willing and able to pay for. My reasons for buying one or the other would not apply to you.

This seems like an easy choice to me if there’s nothing wrong with the Mercedes. The Mercedes is a superior car to the Saab in most every measure except gas mileage. That said, the resale value of the Mercedes will be better than the Saab, which has been just plain awful.

Honestly, if you’re shopping cars in this class I’d consider the BMW 3 series, which will have superior resale value, and in many ways driving dynamics to either the Benz or Saab.

I am a little confused over what price range we are talking about, it would be pretty hard to spend over $40K on the 9.3 (or on a 3-series), but the benz sells for close to $50K. If price is not an issue, I would prefer the benz (saab has an unfortunate “relationship” with GM and I personally don’t like the styling of the new 3-series). As I said, you should buy the toy that you want to play with.

If it was me, I’d buy the Benz. I just like it better. But you need to consider how long you plan to keep it. If you plan to keep it for at least 8 years, get the Benz. Otherwise, the Saab becomes more attractive, despite being a tired design.