What kind of new car?

MY HUSBAND HAS RHEUMATOID ARTHRITIS AND HAS DEVELOPED MOBILITY PROBLEMS THAT MAKE GETTING IN AND OUT OF OUR 2002 HYUNDAI ELANTRA DIFFICULT. (OTHER THAN THAT, WE REALLY LIKE THE CAR) CAN YOU SUGGEST A NEW CAR THAT IS HIGHER SO HE CAN GET IN AND OUT OF IT MORE EASILY, HAS A COMFORTABLE RIDE, AND THAT HAS REASONABLY GOOD GAS MILEAGE? WE WOULD PREFER THE PRICE TO BE UNDER $30,000.

WE ARE THINKING OF SELLING OUR SILVERADO, SO IF POSSIBLE, SOMETHING THAT WE COULD USE TO HAUL STUFF OCCASIONALLY WOULD BE NICE, BUT IS NOT MANDATORY.

Try out the Subaru Forester, Honda CR-V, and Toyota Highlander.

And the Toyota RAV-4.

The Ford 500/Taurus has higher seating position than most cars and loads of interior room, you may want to look at it. My grandfather was considering it for a second or two before deciding (yet again) on the Crown Vic. He deemed the 500 “too sporty”.

You’re right, VDC, brain freeze on my part, thinking Rav-4, typing Highlander.

my parents have a similar problem.they bought a ford exploer in 04. it is easier for them to get in and out of.and is also comfotable for them.the gas is not that great. but for my parents it seems to work well. for them helps with their medical.their is also handles they use often to get in and our of the car.

I’d suggest you get a Consumer Reports New Car Buyers’ Guide to review all the possible selections and spend a few weekends test driving those that look good. This choice will be highly individual and that’s really the best way to find something.

Mazda CX-7, Ford Escape, Buick something-or-other.
If he can tolerate it, take him along with you and try out various makes and models. Do NOT exclude anything, you never know if you’ve passed up a good vehicle until you’ve tried it. Perhaps even a minivan could be in the works, I know some of the more “seasoned” drivers have said they really like theirs, and you’ll have loads of room to store stuff inside.

We love our two Honda Elements: a 2006 2WD EX and a 2008 SC.

I know two people in a similar situation. Both have Honda CR-Vs and are very happy with them. Make sure you get the power seats so that your husband can enter and exit most comfortably.

The LX and EX have manual height adjustment. Only the EX-L has power seat adjustment (height included). There is no passenger seat height adjustment for any of them.