What is the make of car that Batman is chasing?

Hi,
I was recently watching the old Batman TV show from the 1960’s. In Season 1 Episode 2, Batman (Adam West) is chasing The Riddler (Frank Gorshin) in the Batmobile. The Riddler is driving a car I can’t identify, can you help me?

For reference, here’s a clip I found on Youtube, the timestamp is 3:25 for a clip of the exterior of the car. Thanks in advance!

Looks like a Rolls-Royce Silver Cloud III

6 Likes

You can have a Silver Cloud III in cherry condition for $50,000-$70,000 at Hemmings. Convertibles for about twice that.

How much do they pay a person to watch that ? :wink:

1 Like

No one had to pay me anything. I loved that version of Batman. I was a teenager and the camp aspect of the show had me rolling on the floor. It was very popular in Hollywood too. Just look at the all star cast of villains they had. That clip had Frank Gorshin! I understand that actors were all trying to land an arch villain part.

1 Like

In later years Burgess Meredith liked to say that he was annoyed about that show, because after all the great roles he’d had, no one remembered any of 'em except The Penguin.

2 Likes

… which was a real shame because he was an excellent dramatic actor.

Even though it was just one 30 minute show, his appearance on Twilight Zone, playing a little man who never had enough time to read, is particularly poignant. Following a huge explosion (a nuclear attack, IIRC), he finds that he suddenly has enough time to read, until…

1 Like

Not to mention having played one of the funniest “dirty old drunk” roles in cinematic history in the Grumpy Old Men movies, which I would link to but it would violate forum decency rules. ;')

Did they flip the rolls on its side for the shot? Why not a 63 Plymouth for $300?

Looks like a mid 1950’s General Motors frame.
This is a 1955 Buick.

1 Like

Same with Cesar Romero.

1 Like

Burt Ward was interviewed on a podcast a couple years ago by a friend and he said that Adam West always had a stunt double while they just threw him in the car with the double. He now runs a rescue for large dogs such as Great Dane’s called Gentle Giants. Any money from the show for him ran out a long time ago.

+1
While this one might not be obvious to most people, in an incredible number of films and TV productions it is pretty clear that the vehicle flying off a cliff and/or rolling down a hill is not the one that was filmed on the road just before the crash scene.

For the movie about Preston Tucker and his cars, Coppola had 4 Tucker replicas made in order to film the scene where one car rolls during testing. It probably cost a lot of money to make those replicas, but whatever they spent was still cheaper than the cost of destroying one of the remaining 40+ Tucker automobiles.

A TV show known for bloopers was CHiPs, one episode there was a bomb in the trunk of an Impala, they could not get the trunk open to access the bomb. Solution, have the car go over a cliff. The car going off the cliff was a Bicayne, different body style. Trunk flew open as it left the road.
Dukes of Hazard went through many Dodge Chargers that were wrecked filming the series.

Recently, I watched a couple of episodes of Car 54, Where Are You?, and you might recall that their faux police cars were '62 & '63 Plymouths–the downsized ones. However, all of the shots that were done in the interior of the police car were clearly done with a larger, previous generation Chrysler product (probably a '59 Plymouth) that had small side windows in back of the rear doors.

This is the body style used for exterior shots:

This is the type of car that they used for interior shots–whose small rear quarter windows were obvious to anyone paying close attention:

I watched Car 54 but at 11 years old did not notice the difference.
The closest car I had to a ‘muscle car’ was a 62 Sport Fury convertible with a 361, when I was in high school.

They even did it with more modern shows. The YT-1300f freighter used in that little-known 70’s movie Star Wars clearly used a different model for interior and exterior shots. The interior used the common “3-window” variant whereas the exterior used the rare 4-window version. Obviously, they didn’t want a bunch of actors getting inside and messing up such a priceless vehicle. :wink:

1 Like

It might not have been a muscle car, but that car did have a nice excess of power.

You should have gotten a sport fury with the Sonoramic Commando engine. The name alone gives me goosebumps.