What have we learned from Prior gas shocks?

+1, +1, +1… can’t upvote that comment enough. And ignorance and stupidity feeds fear … but ignorance can be cured with education, stupid is forever.

3 Likes

Wow. So a guy that has some questions or concerns about nuclear power is automatically either stupid or ignorant. Nice one. I missed the nuclear physics class at school. They were too busy teaching me we were going to run out of trees if we kept using wood and that Mom’s hairspray was going to end the world.

1 Like

I’m sure he wasn’t pointing that at you. It’s the decades of fear that has prevented a rational adoption of safe nuclear power that I find frustrating. For example, the problem with nuclear waste can be solved if a permanent site can be used, instead of the temporary storage forced on us by the NIMBY problem.

4 Likes

NOT an insult, at all! I apologize if you took it that way. No one can know everything. We are all ignorant about some things and knowledgeable about others, that isn’t an insult, at least it isn’t intended to be. Ignorance can be solved by learning. Clearly you can learn or you wouldn’t be asking questions… you’d be TELLing us incorrect things.

Stupid is the stubborn insistence NOT to learn…

8 Likes

Watching some of those old movies from the 60’s where women wore the “hair helmet” hair-do’s, you could believe that the ozone layer was under attack by Aqua-Net!

Ignorance is not an insult. Simply means lack of knowledge, which you admitted to (and I for one am pretty ignorant on nuclear, and thus am glad you asked the questions: as I have learned a bunch in here already.)

As for my opinion on gas shocks: stick with what OEM recommends until after warranty is up… :rofl: :rofl:

2 Likes

Fukushima wasn’t so much a problem with nuclear reactors as a poor decision on location. IMO, any nuclear reactor is Japan is proabably a bad idea because it is seismically active. I agree that it could have been far worse with an older style design.

In the US, we probably shouldn’t locate nuclear plants on the West Coast due to earthquakes and volcanoes, as well as seismic activity anywhere in the Pacific. We can say the same thing about nuclear plant plants on the Atlantic and Gulf coasts too since seismic activity anywhere in the Atlantic or near the Gulf of Mexico could be problematic. Large sheltered bodies of water like the Great Lakes and the Chesapeake Bay are much better for those reasons.

1 Like

Exactly! :thinking:

And I was truly hurt. Self image destroyed.

Nah.

1 Like

Several years ago during one of the gas crunches everyone was screaming for delivery of E85 capable vehicles. Took a while for the auto makers to ramp up and by the time they did the crisis had passed. I have not seen an E85 pump in central Delaware, there is one in the northern part of the state.

This crisis will pass, painfully and slower than we like, but it will pass. In the mean time drive smart, combine trips and use gas wisely.

I used to laugh at the muscle cars and diesel pickups roaring down the road, now I am upset they are using precious resources.

BTW how about the truckers protesting mask mandates (that are no longer in effect) burning $5 / gal diesel?

I think you guys are hitting the nail on the head …

1. Diversify our energy sources.
  2. Think through all the alternatives instead of knee jerk reactions. Oil Good/Bad, Green Good/Bad, Nuclear Good/Bad.
  3. Think Long Term instead of just Today and weigh the overall cost/benefit.
  4. Stop blaming/crediting “Government” for everything that happens.
  5. And thank God those '60’s hairstyles, Nehru jackets, bell bottoms and polyester shirts are gone! :rofl:
6 Likes

Sure legislation can have a limited affect on the price of gas (I say limited, because no matter how much increase in drilling congress could allow, the oil companies won’t significantly lower the price of gas)

That’s not the president hitting a magical button to increase or decrease the price. The current high prices are no more Bidden’s fault than Trump’s “success” due to supply and demand causing gas prices to crash during the pandemic lockdowns.

There can be, but Chernobyl was caused by a faulty reactor design combined with Soviet disregard for training and safety protocol. RBMK reactors are not as safe as LWR (the design that pretty much the rest of the world uses) are.

I’m curious if such an EO would be allowed today…considering Congress can just write legislation that can essentially nullify any EO with appropriate legislation (and enough support to override the forthcoming veto). Which EO was that for Clinton? I took a brief look at his EO list, but I didn’t notice that particular one (it could’ve been buried in one that didn’t include gas in the name anywhere)

i have not driven in 2 weeks. i have 2 cars. one has not moved in 5 months.

I don’t know what statement you were replying to exactly because what you quoted from me was a different topic on this portion, but…I continue to disagree that the prez can’t have a meaningful impact on price of oil. They’re (guvment) considering banning Russian imports right now, but are afraid that the ban might raise prices more…and we’re only importing about 7% of what we use from Russia. (I think they ought to go ahead and do it, but beside the point). So, it would stand to reason that oil unfriendly policies here (no pipeline, etc) could definitely have an impact on prices as well. Obviously the prez/guvment doesn’t control or set pricing. But they can institute policies that affect it. And yes, past admin (when we were indeed a net exporter for a period), the price was lower. I do not think that is totally a coincidence and I do not blame covid for everything nor do I totally blame the current admin…but they played a part in the price increase through their policy (whether you agree with said policy or not).

1 Like

The title does say “gas shocks”.
I had air shocks installed on a car, had a single fill point, when aired up for towing the air would transfer from one shock to the other.

1 Like

I’m a KYB man, myself.

Not really, just attempting to get car related again.

1 Like

I’ve known about the potential of thorium nuclear reactors for 50 years. We and the rest of the world have been studying and developing new nuclear reactor technology the whole time. That witnesses that it isn’t as easy as it looks. For one thing, it requires breeding, which no one has made economical. France and Japan worked on plutonium breeders for decades, gave up on them.

Laser isotope separation, which I read a Scientific American article about some years ago, would make isotope separation so cheap and safe everyone would have nuclear reactors, no high-level waste - and all the bombs they want. It must not have been invented.

I wasn’t Russian to judgment about the direction of this topic, but now I have to Putin my two cents. Can we get back to cars and oil and all that? Deleting the overtly off topic political stuff. Thanks.

13 Likes

Nice puns. Those sound like what my kids would call “Dad jokes”.

7 Likes

Dad jokes aren’t just for dads. I love them. If you don’t…Crimea river. :wink:

Carry on!

11 Likes