What have we learned from Prior gas shocks?

We’re up to $3.94 now so 40 cents in one day and I’m sure more tomorrow. I play the market though and filled up both cars last week. I’ll wait a day or two to sell.

1 Like

$3.98 yesterday and $4.14 this morning in Dover DE, but there seems to be plenty available for now

So how many gallons did you buy? If you sell ten gallons for $1.00 more per gallon than you paid, you only made $10.00.

You fail to see the difference between serious comment and humor.

1 Like

Filled up on the way home. $3.99 now.

We have learned things will recover eventually!

$3.94 at Sams Club, $4.19 everywhere else. If my Avalanche was a little more empty, I would have cracked a $100 fill up. I think ought 9 was the last time I did that.

I remember I drove an F150 with a 36 (if I recall correctly) gallon tank back then. At some stations the pump would automatically shut off at…maybe $100? I guess they only wanted to sell so much gas to a single person on credit…? Made it hard to track your fuel mileage when you couldn’t fill the tank.

1 Like

Back then I was paying $25 a day to keep going.

I mentioned in another thread that I bought gas 6 days ago and gas was up 40 cents in two days. Now it’s up another 20 cents. Someone in the news today said they think prices won’t go up much more. That’s what I want to hear and I’m going with it.

I had a Suburban with a 40 gallon tank when gas was about $1.90 a gallon and then the Big Block Subbie with a 44 gallon tank when it was about $3.00. Would shut the pump off at $50. When I was towing to racetracks, I’d have to slip the credit card twice to get a full tank. This was before cell phones. My wife kept getting calls from our bank…She had to explain it was OK, I was filling up my truck with gas and it took almost $75. Later it was raised to $75 but gas went to about $3.00 so it didn’t help with a $110 fill up. She still got calls.

I think it might be $100 now… haven’t cracked that yet, we’ll see if Sam’s Club has that limit.

In 2008 I purchased a 1998 Dodge Ram with a 35-gallon fuel tank, great deals back then, perhaps history will repeat. People are quick to sell a thirsty vehicle only to be replaced by one that gets 3 MPG better fuel economy.

There are criminals that use fraudulent credit cards to buy gasoline, filling 300-gallon tanks. The sale limit allows opportunity for the clerk to notice the crime in progress.

Yup, my CC was skimmed. Five purchases on it for $99.00. My CC company removed the charges after I reported it. Got a letter from Sheriffs Office, the criminals were caught. They were using white work van with a tank in the cargo area. This is a reason I never use a debit card, always a CC.

6 Likes

I had a 1998 Dodge Ram with the 360 at that same time. I got told repeatedly that I should trade it in. But it takes quite a bit of fuel savings to buy a newer vehicle, so I kept it. The 2005 Sierra I have now with a 4.8 only gets about 2 mpg better than the Ram did. I did drive the Buick today instead of my truck. The Buick gets about 8 mpg better than the Sierra.

I thought about the same thing as far as truck and SUV demand. I wonder if prices for those will drop? I might be in the market if they do. Let me know if you see any sweet deals on Ram’s with the 5.7 or GM’s with the 6.2 :wink:

My credit card got hacked for $100 gas , they stopped the second $100 at the same pump and notified me. The credit card company was very quick to take the charge off and get me a replacement card.

My debit cards have the same protection as my credit cards. The difference is the money first comes out of your account before it is put back. I’ve never had a problem though to test it.

I never used to do a travel note unless going out of the country until I made it as far as Ohio and they cut my debit card off. Restored the next day but still a hassle. So I carry two debit cards, two credit cards, and cash. Since calling the bank and CU, never had a problem since but they ask to use the PIN when heading east.

Back at $3.289 near the city of Victorville in the southern Ca. desert, I filled up my E-150 van and I handed a $100 bill and I had to assure the dedicated attendant that I would only get about $12.00 in change. It took $88.00 which was impressive at the time. We were still thinking that $2.00 was too much. Those days were before the housing market crashed.

Went to town today fist time for a week last week 3.99 today 4.29 for regular.

We are at 3.99, but craziest thing I saw was I went to a website, and wanted to autofill my email. It had 4 suggestions and 2 of them were passwords I must have typed in the wrong spot. Went and changed them immediately, but thinking if somebody was smart enough to look in at failed login attempts and figure oh that was not an email address but a password, and track your history you could be in big trouble. We use so little gas the price per gallon is not a life changer. Sorry for those that it is. Then yesterday one of the sites non critical sent me a text message to my phone for 2 step verification, to enter verification code I never asked for. Like they want to see my medical records? Looking for anything and they are getting better! Be careful my friends!

Usually for two step it is sent either to my phone or computer but I get to choose. But the codes are only good for a few minutes.

If they get your name, they get your house, maybe any websites you are part of, and on from there. Considering a security cam but concerned about wifi being hacked.