What did the mechanic do?

I went to my local car garage because my car was taking a second or so longer to start, and it shifted a bit hard sometimes (automatic transmission). He cleaned off something that took him a minute or so, and sent me on my way, didn’t charge me a dime. After that the car started great and the shifting problem was gone. The problem eventually came back though. My car is a 2003 Camry.

So what did he do to get it to start/shift better?

More than likely, he took care of the delayed starting problem by cleaning the battery terminals of corrosion and/or tightening those connections. However, I don’t see how that could be connected with how the transmission shifts.

My question for you has to do with how thoroughly this car has been maintained.
For instance, how often has the transmission fluid (and filter) been changed?
On the basis of elapsed time, this 12 year old car should have had that service done 4 times so far.

What can you tell us–specifically–about the car’s maintenance, at least over the past 3 years?

In the past three years, I have changed the transmission fluid, spark plugs, changed the oil every 5000 miles, installed new brake rotors, replaced the battery, new power steering fluid, swapped the air filter every year) and installed new shocks/struts. The car has about 150k miles on it, and I’ve had it since 2003. Today I am getting the fuel filter replaced for the first time.

Did the hard shifting start before or after you had the fluid changed? Who changed it, and do you know what method they used to do so?

On an old Toyota like that I would not touch the fuel filter unless you are having fuel delivery problems. When they go to remove the filter the fittings will break, due to corrosion, and your repair bill will likely get much more expensive. I have owned many Toyotas and several over 200,000 miles and I have never replaced a fuel filter on any fuel injected models. The only Toyota that ever got a new fuel filter was my 84 Tercel with a carburetor.

Shadowfax- my father in law changed the transmission fluid. Iirc he drained it as much as he could, filled it up, drained it again, and filled it back up. The shifting problem started before he changed the fluid. It’s just a slight jerk when shifting from 2nd to 3rd gear, and it doesn’t happen if I accelerate quicker (I usually accelerate slowly).

Knuckles- my check engine light came on and the code said I am running lean. The fuel filter seems the likeliest cause.

On an old Toyota like that I would not touch the fuel filter unless you are having fuel delivery problems.

Wear&tear causes many car troubles, but so do tinkerers.

OP, have someone check your engine mounts. Worn mounts can cause you to feel the shifts because things flex around during the shifts when they shouldn’t be.

Did your father-inlaw use Toyota fluid. They have there own tranny additives and it’s a synthetic fluid. The mechanic could have just squitered the throttle plates and MAF with cleaner. Takes only a couple minutes, but I would just ask him.

On an old Toyota like that I would not touch the fuel filter unless you are having fuel delivery problems.
2003, old? I think it is just getting broke in. Most DIyer's wouldn't attempt an in tank fuel filter anyways.

Unless I’m mistaken, the fuel filter on this car is part of the entire fuel sending unit

Unless you’re having problems with the fuel pump, I wouldn’t bother changing that stuff out

As for the lean codes, I suggest getting it diagnosed and repaired correctly, versus guessing and using the shotgun approach

You might guess wrong, and your wrong guess(es) might add up to big bucks, before you bring it to a shop. And you may discover . . . or they may tell you . . . that all that stuff you did was unnecessary and cost you a lot of money

Yup . . . that shotgun may be more expensive, in the end, than a proper diagnosis and repair

Seen it plenty of times

:cookie:

Unless I'm mistaken, the fuel filter on this car is part of the entire fuel sending unit

Your not. The Camry’s started using the in tank “Fuel Pump Filter” in 2002.

Thank you db4690, but it was indeed the shop that did the diagnose/replacement of the filter

Unless they diagnosed low fuel pressure, and the cause was the complete fuel sending unit . . . it sounds like the shop misdiagnosed the car

The cause of the lean codes may be false air. Vacuum leaks are a possibility. Either a hose, or leaking intake gaskets, etc.

An evap/smoke machine would quickly prove or disprove that idea

A dirty mass airflow sensor . . . as previously mentioned . . . could also lead to erroneous fuel trim codes

In my opinion, a more experienced, thorough and competent mechanic/shop needs to take over

:sweat:

I’m wondering if what he cleaned might have been the MAF (mass air flow sensor). A dirty MAF could affect how it would start and could affect how it would shift. The way it would affect how it would shift is that you would have to depress the accelerator a little harder to compensate for a slight loss in power due to the dirty MAF. This in turn would cause the TPS (throttle position sensor) to turn a little further.
This would raise shift points a little higher which in turn could make your shifts a little harder. The TPS is one of the sensors which controls your shift points.

Db4690- why do you conclude that they didn’t check those things? I wasn’t there, so I can’t say either way what they did and didn’t check.

If my post is correct you can buy a cleaner specifically made MAFs at any auto parts store.

2 cents-I have a throttle body/air filter cleaning spray: would that work to clean the MAF sensor?

2 cents-I have a throttle body/air filter cleaning spray: would that work to clean the MAF sensor?

Throttle body cleaner is a different formula - I wouldn’t risk it. There is a fragile thermistor right in the air path. I wouldn’t want to damage it.